Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many aways to apply for
Anyone have any idea how many aways to apply for this year? 

Mid 240s step with some pubs from a mid-tier school.
You're only allowed to do 1 per the rules this year, if there are more allowed - then do 2 aways. (Unless you don't have a home dept, then do 3)
(04-02-2021, 06:07 AM)Guest Wrote: You're only allowed to do 1 per the rules this year, if there are more allowed - then do 2 aways. (Unless you don't have a home dept, then do 3)

appreciate the response but that was not the question
(04-02-2021, 09:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 06:07 AM)Guest Wrote: You're only allowed to do 1 per the rules this year, if there are more allowed - then do 2 aways. (Unless you don't have a home dept, then do 3)

I would apply to one per month (depending on number of aways allowed) and have a backup for that month where u would be ok with declining them if u got accepted to both. Keep in mind if u decline a subI its likely you will not be offered an interview there. If the you think u have a good chance of getting a subi at your number 1 choice then i wouldnt apply to another one bc of the risk
(04-02-2021, 10:01 AM)Guest Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 09:57 AM)Guest Wrote:

I would apply to one per month (depending on number of aways allowed) and have a backup for that month where u would be ok with declining them if u got accepted to both. Keep in mind if u decline a subI its likely you will not be offered an interview there. If the you think u have a good chance of getting a subi at your number 1 choice then i wouldnt apply to another one bc of the risk
Thank you for the solid advice. I just wonder how sure anyone is of getting an away this year? I'm happy only applying to a few programs but since all the applicants will be going for the same programs it's hard to know where you stand? Like typically people apply for a reach, one mid-tier, and one safer. This year ALL the applicants are going to apply to reach/mid-tiers at the same time because everyone wants an away (I'm assuming) in August preferably. I just worry if I apply to a few programs I won't get into those and not have any aways just due to positions filling up this year?
I applied to 3 fairly competitive programs based on the rec of the neurosurgery medical student advisor in my department based on my stats/pubs
(04-16-2021, 04:33 PM)Guest Wrote: I applied to 3 fairly competitive programs based on the rec of the neurosurgery medical student advisor in my department based on my stats/pubs

What are your stats/pubs? Roughly
any clue how long it takes to hear back?
I applied to 5 with a mix of reach and more realistic programs and plan to basically go with the first one that accepts me and withdraw apps from others before they even have a chance to decide to avoid stepping on any toes. I feel like this year in particular it’s understood you will apply to multiple programs but conversely programs will crucify you if you turn them down after initially accepting because they will be out of luck as no 2nd round of apps probably this year. Scored north of 270 and double digit pubs and terrified because of how silent every program has been thus far...ghosted by multiple program coordinators I emailed asking if they even have aways this year (and like half the programs aren’t even on VSAS or only have silly dates like in September like what even is the point of a September away???)
(04-16-2021, 09:01 PM)Guest Wrote: I applied to 5 with a mix of reach and more realistic programs and plan to basically go with the first one that accepts me and withdraw apps from others before they even have a chance to decide to avoid stepping on any toes. I feel like this year in particular it’s understood you will apply to multiple programs but conversely programs will crucify you if you turn them down after initially accepting because they will be out of luck as no 2nd round of apps probably this year. Scored north of 270 and double digit pubs and terrified because of how silent every program has been thus far...ghosted by multiple program coordinators I emailed asking if they even have aways this year (and like half the programs aren’t even on VSAS or only have silly dates like in September like what even is the point of a September away???)

Few years ago when i applied, i had extra months to do rotations as a 4th yr so I chose to do aways during september and october. Although this will not be useful towards getting LOR, it was great to get to know those programs. Also, thats around the time they are reviewing apps so I think if they see u are rotating at their institution then its more likely they will offer you an interview. I dont think its pointless to do aways during those months

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)