Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puerto Rico
Might be late to this, but why did the Puerto Rico program lose accreditation? any idea what happened to the residents?
ACGME not playing games. Its like the 3rd program to get closed in recent years
(05-15-2021, 09:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Might be late to this, but why did the Puerto Rico program lose accreditation? any idea what happened to the residents?

Between COVID and natural disasters in Puerto Rico they basically lost all of their volume, were unable to get numbers.

From what I heard all but 1 or 2 of the residents have been hired (it's essentially free labor for a program so even if they aren't great people will still want them)
I don’t think it is appropriate to call them “free labor”, even if the ACGME regulations give them protections to continue receiving their salaries from PR while continuing their training elsewhere.

I am from a program that interviewed a bunch of them. They were all hard working, down to earth, good residents. The interviews were one-on-one, but all of them without exception asked about how close the residents in my program are, which reflected how close they were. They are all very attached to PR, and their families and their people there, and wouldn’t have moved out except for these unforeseen circumstances.

I wish all of them the best of luck. Would have been happy to train with any or all of them.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)