Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are permanent residents disadvantaged vs. US citizens?
IMG's have a harder time matching but what about green card holders who are not US citizens?

Long story short, green card expires in 6 months. Have choice to become citizen but I must give up my birth country citizenship. Would I be looked upon unfavorably as a green card holder?

I know for sure that ERAS requires all that information to be provided in demographics. If I renew it would be good for all of residency and a few years after that.

I am a US MD student at a decent (but not top 40) medical school. Lived in US 18 years, English is fluent, but still have foreign name that's a dead giveaway I wasn't born in the US.
Can’t speak for all programs, but at our program a green card would not be a negative. The fact that you are a graduate of a US MD school is all that would matter to us.

Source: strong Midwest program
at our program it wouldn't hurt you. same as above, super important to have gone to medical school in the US and be completely fluent in english but i don't think it would matter at all where you lived/were schooled before that.

That said, if you are planning on living the rest of your life here it might make sense to become a citizen

west coast academic program
(07-08-2021, 01:46 AM)anon5 Wrote: IMG's have a harder time matching but what about green card holders who are not US citizens?

Long story short, green card expires in 6 months. Have choice to become citizen but I must give up my birth country citizenship. Would I be looked upon unfavorably as a green card holder?

I know for sure that ERAS requires all that information to be provided in demographics. If I renew it would be good for all of residency and a few years after that.

I am a US MD student at a decent (but not top 40) medical school. Lived in US 18 years, English is fluent, but still have foreign name that's a dead giveaway I wasn't born in the US.

Southern academic program.

Shouldn't be a negative for us, esp if you went to a US med school. We want good residents, first and foremost.

Also...not sure why you're concerned about your foreign name. Have you seen the resident list for the typical NSGY program? (I say this as someone with a "foreign name" born and raised in the US.)

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)