Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 gone, CK useless
Residents at other programs, how will your program sift through applicants without Step 1, and with the current average Step 2 CK being 240? As a resident I am worried about my program trying to assess an applicant’s acumen. It’s not enough to want to do Neurosurgery, I want colleagues at the top of their game. My co-residents from all different medical school types took and excelled at Step 1. 

There’s a culture shift afoot in Neurosurgery and I don’t think it’s all good, or all portends well for the future of our field. Certainly we’ve made necessary strides in wellness, and there are still axes to grind in terms of how residents are treated, but I worry applicants are not being sold the truth of the nature of our field.
Are you implying that for one to be at the top of their game, they need to score high on the step 1? If so, I think you are wrong. So many great Neurosurgeons/physicians would prove you wrong. Look for another argument! lol
Screen with step 2 everything else will stay the same.
(07-21-2021, 11:08 PM)Guest Wrote: Are you implying that for one to be at the top of their game, they need to score high on the step 1? If so, I think you are wrong. So many great Neurosurgeons/physicians would prove you wrong. Look for another argument! lol

I dont want who would have scored a 210 as a coresident. Im not splitting hairs between a 240 and 260, thats dumb.
(07-22-2021, 06:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 11:08 PM)Guest Wrote: Are you implying that for one to be at the top of their game, they need to score high on the step 1? If so, I think you are wrong. So many great Neurosurgeons/physicians would prove you wrong. Look for another argument! lol

I dont want who would have scored a 210 as a coresident. Im not splitting hairs between a 240 and 260, thats dumb.

I don't want who have scored a 270 and anger issues or essential tremor as a coresident for 7 yrs.  Rather, 210s with great hands and personality will go a long way.
(07-22-2021, 04:16 PM)Guest Wrote:

I don't want who have scored a 270 and anger issues or essential tremor as a coresident for 7 yrs.  Rather, 210s with great hands and personality will go a long way.

270s with great hands and personality.

The very best by every measure should be entering neurosurgery.
(07-22-2021, 04:16 PM)Guest Wrote:

Not everyone who scores well on the USMLE is angry and autistic. Lots of great people who do well academically, and lots of short-tempered autists who score low.
Eh neurosurgery will be the latest field that will fall to anti-intellectualism; it’s already starting in this thread with insinuations that people who score well on a test of medical knowledge are autistic nerds and low scorers are “handy” and “cool”.
(07-22-2021, 09:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Eh neurosurgery will be  the latest field that will fall to anti-intellectualism; it’s already starting in this thread with insinuations that people who score well on a test of medical knowledge are autistic nerds and low scorers are “handy” and “cool”.

That’s exactly my worry. We should want the overall best entering this field, academics/judgement/dexterity etc. This is neurosurgery not intramural badminton.
(07-22-2021, 09:51 PM)Resident Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 09:00 PM)Guest Wrote: Eh neurosurgery will be  the latest field that will fall to anti-intellectualism; it’s already starting in this thread with insinuations that people who score well on a test of medical knowledge are autistic nerds and low scorers are “handy” and “cool”.

That’s exactly my worry. We should want the overall best entering this field, academics/judgement/dexterity etc. This is neurosurgery not intramural badminton.

A low step one is a character flaw

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)