Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Average number of publications counting those in medical school only?
Any idea how many publications/research experiences the average applicant has from medical school years only? Majority of students have research to get into medical school and I assume most would put that on ERAS.

Non-traditional US-MD, only went to undergrad for 2 years for my first career and never did research, MS3, 258 Step 1.

Seriously considering a gap year even if it means racking up more loans because from what I've seen on charting outcomes and Texas star database 0.00% chance of matching without at least some type of research.
It's a highly academic field. You definitely need research, but the year just started and MS3, while late, is not too late to dive into it and try to crank out some publications. If you play it well, you could get your 3-5 pubs, maybe one first author, and 3-5 poster presentations. If you really want to do NS, you can do that (provided you have a solid home program). If you want to be competitive, a research year can open all doors with your score, if you manage to find the right environment and put in the work.

The majority of people that you say have research before going into medical school, have 1-2 publications, usually not as first author. Most get the majority of their publications during medical school.
U have more than enough time to get some type of research. Don’t do a gap year. Your step score is good enough that you will match somewhere, don’t waste a year.
(07-24-2021, 10:43 PM)LoneStar_Student Wrote: Any idea how many publications/research experiences the average applicant has from medical school years only? Majority of students have research to get into medical school and I assume most would put that on ERAS.

Non-traditional US-MD, only went to undergrad for 2 years for my first career and never did research, MS3, 258 Step 1.

Seriously considering a gap year even if it means racking up more loans because from what I've seen on charting outcomes and Texas star database 0.00% chance of matching without at least some type of research.

Do a research year with a well-known neurosurgeon at another institution and pump out papers that way you can have a letter from a respectable name and publications. Certainly, you can match without publications with a great SubI performance but it is an arms race these days with research.
Thanks for all the responses. My original way of thinking is if I don't match then it will be a major red flag plus I will have to take more time off anyway.

But if I have a decent chance to match without a ton of publications I will not take a gap year.

There are countless 255+ each year that don't match even with tons of research so I'm hesitant to think a good Step will help much on its own.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)