Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisville
Hi all,

M3 at a midwest school, wondering if anyone did a Sub-I here or know anything about the program?

Thanks.
Neiman is a dynamic young Chair. Good medical complex in Louisville.

Neimat
I'm surprised this program hasn't been closed yet
(05-14-2017, 07:09 AM)Guest Wrote: I'm surprised this program hasn't been closed yet

Thanks for this insightful information. Don't understand why people reply to serious inquiries with nonsense.
(05-14-2017, 02:45 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-14-2017, 07:09 AM)Guest Wrote: I'm surprised this program hasn't been closed yet

Thanks for this insightful information. Don't understand why people reply to serious inquiries with nonsense.

How is this nonsense?  They have had a revolving door of attendings after the entire department left the university and went across town in to private practice.  The department is malignant at baseline.  They are constantly advertising for mid-level residents because the current cohort either transfers out or is fired.  They were previously on probation, I'd have to check their current accreditation status.  Needless to say, perhaps not every "nonsense" response is nonsesne.
(05-14-2017, 03:10 PM)Guest Wrote:

How is this nonsense?  They have had a revolving door of attendings after the entire department left the university and went across town in to private practice.  The department is malignant at baseline.  They are constantly advertising for mid-level residents because the current cohort either transfers out or is fired.  They were previously on probation, I'd have to check their current accreditation status.  Needless to say, perhaps not every "nonsense" response is nonsesne.

I heard they cleared up all those problems and turned the program around under new leadership.
(05-14-2017, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-14-2017, 03:10 PM)Guest Wrote:

I heard they cleared up all those problems and turned the program around under new leadership.

The guy you replied to presents facts.  You present what you heard.

FWIW they posted an ad for a PGY-4 last year on the old site.
Those facts about a group of attendings going into private practice are almost a decade old.
Neimat is very solid as a leader. Louisville will be fine but there may still be some growing pains for another few years.
(05-14-2017, 05:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Those facts about a group of attendings going into private practice are almost a decade old.  
Neimat is very solid as a leader.  Louisville will be fine but there may still be some growing pains for another few years.

Thanks, Louisville coordinator Cool
You're welcome! But seriously, the stuff on these boards is pretty outdated most of the time.

http://www.beckersasc.com/news-analysis/...ction.html
These were the original reports back in 2009. The original dispute was about money and in a power grab/stand-off, the University called the bluff of the group that left to Norton.

If you look at annual revenue, the U of L and Jewish hospital combination is over $5 billion in annual revenue. https://www.ahd.com/states/hospital_KY.html That level of clinical activity indicates that you should have plenty in terms of volume for a 2 resident per year program.

So with the volume question answered, what about the faculty?
http://louisville.edu/medicine/departmen...ur-doctors shows a fairly young group; lots of assistant professors. That usually means a lot of energy and enthusiasm for teaching. Yes, the program has not had decades of national leadership...but in the end, does that matter to the typical resident in the program. Probably not, but the opportunity to get solid training in neurosurgery is there.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)