Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you dont have a 250, dont apply
I'm tired of seeing these subpar applicants apply. We don't want you.

250+ step 1 crew checking in
What is this forum...
The anger has exponentially grown since UH. I think there should be consideration towards encouraging people to make accounts as a way the allow for more civil discussion. For example, locking all but a couple forums to anonymous posting. The fear of this being used to hunt down posters by programs is overly touted IMO.
I've been interested in Neurosurgery for many years (currently MS2), but many discussions on this forum are concerning. There is a lot of vitriol, bashing of programs and program chairs and rudeness. I would really hope that this is not representative of the field of Neurosurgery. I realize this is an intense field with strong egos, but the surgeons at my home institution seem to be mostly friendly and kind people who are very interested in teaching and mentoring. Is that not the norm?
(05-17-2017, 02:11 PM)Guest Wrote: I've been interested in Neurosurgery for many years (currently MS2), but many discussions on this forum are concerning. There is a lot of vitriol, bashing of programs and program chairs and rudeness. I would really hope that this is not representative of the field of Neurosurgery. I realize this is an intense field with strong egos, but the surgeons at my home institution seem to be mostly friendly and kind people who are very interested in teaching and mentoring. Is that not the norm?

Probably because people who post on this forum in this manner are M1s/Pre-meds who don't know what they are taking about
This forum is not the norm
There tends to be more animosity than the surface would let on. The pleasant attendings likely do have a fair amount of pent up hostility they only release when in closer circles. Anonymity allows speaking freely without blowback
This forum does not reflect the field. There is a vast overemphasis in this forum on reputational score-keeping, often with a focus on specific individuals. There is a false narrative that programs are 'ranked' somehow instead of focusing on the truth that they each offer diverse strengths and weaknesses and talking in a rational way about those strengths and weaknesses. One-half of all neurosurgeons (those in private practice) get no mention here whatsoever, despite the fact that this form of practice is such a large part of how neurosurgical care is delivered. This forum could be much better with a moderator who would weed out some of the vitriol. The posts could still be anonymous but with a bit of civility.
Maybe you all have cordial surgeons at your home program. However, my chair and PD pretty blatantly fit the fold. The first question my chair asks are your step 1 score. If they are not 245+ he has little respect for you. He has no value in research or work ethic. Funny, his boards prob blew when he took them 30 years ago and he has little to no research in the past 10 years.
(05-17-2017, 11:11 PM)Guest Wrote: This forum does not reflect the field.  There is a vast overemphasis in this forum on reputational score-keeping, often with a focus on specific individuals.  There is a false narrative that programs are 'ranked' somehow instead of focusing on the truth that they each offer diverse strengths and weaknesses and talking in a rational way about those strengths and weaknesses.  One-half of all neurosurgeons (those in private practice) get no mention here whatsoever, despite the fact that this form of practice is such a large part of how neurosurgical care is delivered.   This forum could be much better with a moderator who would weed out some of the vitriol.  The posts could still be anonymous but with a bit of civility.

I've been trying to let people speak freely.  Please flag posts for moderation that are inflammatory or inciting others. 

If we all agree to be respectful and professional about our discussions, this should not be an issue. I can appreciate the desire to flame or snark, but let's all tone it down a notch.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)