Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actual Salaries
What is the average salary for a neurosurgeon (academic vs private practice).  I am not sure of the "gold standard" source to cite, because I have seen large flucuations from median as 300k to a median on a different site as 600k.  Not that is matters, it is all six figures and enough to live a happy life.  I was just wanting to know what I am getting into. 

I am a MS4 trying to decide between neurosurgery or neuroIR.
(08-27-2021, 08:31 PM)MoMoneyMoProblems Wrote: What is the average salary for a neurosurgeon (academic vs private practice).  I am not sure of the "gold standard" source to cite, because I have seen large flucuations from median as 300k to a median on a different site as 600k.  Not that is matters, it is all six figures and enough to live a happy life.  I was just wanting to know what I am getting into. 

I am a MS4 trying to decide between neurosurgery or neuroIR.

If you are having this question neurosurgery isn’t for you. The hours make it such that you really have to want to be doing neurosurgery irrespective of the compensation. NeuroIR is like half the hours and 5 vs 7 years. Plus your schedule post residency will be way more Cush
Definitely do IR.
No money, no honey. The OP sounds like a fat ugly short guy whose looking for a golddigger.
^ LOL. ALL Neurosurgery residents are ugly af dude. I've yet to see a single resident come out of that 7 year BS of residency in shape, with a full set of non white/grey hair, and not look like they aged 15 years. Look at before and after pics of your chiefs some time. Neurosurgery may get you more money than some other specialties, but it takes your life in the process.
(03-16-2023, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote: ^ LOL. ALL Neurosurgery residents are ugly af dude. I've yet to see a single resident come out of that 7 year BS of residency in shape, with a full set of non white/grey hair, and not look like they aged 15 years. Look at before and after pics of your chiefs some time. Neurosurgery may get you more money than some other specialties, but it takes your life in the process.

Yeah count yourself lucky if you don’t graduate out of shape, wrinkled or bald after 7 years. Plus consider things like vitamin D deficiency, mood disorders/PTSD.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31230727/
I rotated at UCSF once upon a time. The residents looked fine, to be honest. One of the current PGY6's, Winward was jacked.
Keep in mind depending on what your pathway through undergrad, med school, gap years, PhD etc, a lot of neurosurgery residents are late thirties when they graduate. So, yes most of them will look older than a graduating emergency medicine resident. But that's because they are.
Actually salary will depend on many many things. Neurosurgeons will almost always make more than IR, by 6 figures. PP spine surgeons in the midwest are making easily 1-1.5m+. IR doctors that take a lot of call with call stipends can do well. It is not true to say IR schedule is more cush, that will depend on the enviroment. IR can get nuked if they take stroke call and work at a level 1 where they embo trauma all night. It all depends on your set up. But, if your goal is to make as much as possible, a neurosurgeon (purely from salary, not owning stuff etc etc) will have a higher earning potentially and it will not be close.
Median neurosurgery salary is 750,000. Academic positions will be far less - as they are less needed by the market. The vast majority of the neurosurgery workforce in the US is private practice, which pays more.

If you are curious about what the demand in the neurosurgery market is, refer to any large job board (there are job postings hosted by CNS, AANS, JNS, and NEJM) or RosmanSearch which is one of the larger recruiter boards.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)