Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Program
Is it easier to get into your home program?  I figure if they didn't like you then they wouldn't even write you a positive LOR.  The fact they write one must be somewhat positive, or do they just write one to everyone who asks but put neutral or negative remarks if they though bad?
You are much likely to match at your home program because they are more likely to know your caliber. Not necessarily easier, just more data available to validate your quality. Your home program will definitely write you a letter, they basically have to. Yes, they might write a lukewarm letter. Very rarely I've seen an actually bad letter.
(08-28-2021, 09:50 AM)Focus Wrote: You are much likely to match at your home program because they are more likely to know your caliber. Not necessarily easier, just more data available to validate your quality. Your home program will definitely write you a letter, they basically have to. Yes, they might write a lukewarm letter. Very rarely I've seen an actually bad letter.

How damning is it to get a lukewarm letter?
(08-28-2021, 12:05 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-28-2021, 09:50 AM)Focus Wrote: You are much likely to match at your home program because they are more likely to know your caliber. Not necessarily easier, just more data available to validate your quality. Your home program will definitely write you a letter, they basically have to. Yes, they might write a lukewarm letter. Very rarely I've seen an actually bad letter.

It will hurt your application. Always ask "are you comfortable writing me a strong letter?" and ask for letters in person if possible not via email. I would avoid asking anyone that you don't feel like you have strong rapport with or made a good impression on.

I would try to at least attend clinic and several cases before asking a faculty member for a letter unless you are rotating at a place where it is hard to get facetime with a chair. If you can't get a strong letter from the chair/PD it is better to ask an APD or faculty member that you have rapport with than risk getting a lukewarm letter from more senior leadership imo.

There are some places where the APD or chief resident ghostwrite/co-write letters for chair/PD and the residents will clue you in to this if they like you.
(08-28-2021, 12:05 PM)Guest Wrote:

At the very least it would prompt a phone call to the letter writer to discuss.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)