Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most research oriented residencies?
not against becoming a competent surgeon, just that i want to do lots of research and actually make a big difference in the field. i have lots of research experience in the past and i am doing research in machine learning now in med school. experience in  programming and bench molecular. 

what programs are good for research?

Thank you.
Anywhere that requires you to do research during your elective time or has infolded PhD tract. UCSF, MGH, Yale, Hopkins, Penn, Stanford, and UMich come to mind.
thank you so much for that info Focus. By any chance, do u know of a research program that is open to someone from a DO school? It is even worth trying? I enjoy doing research. I coulden't get md because of bad grades in college. thank you again
(08-30-2021, 09:51 PM)in love with a lolita Wrote: thank you so much for that info Focus. By any chance, do u know of a research program that is open to someone from a DO school? It is even worth trying? I enjoy doing research. I coulden't get md because of bad grades in college. thank you again

You should definitely try. As you know, the process is more difficult coming from a DO program (not sure what your stats are like). But definitely prioritize matching first, in most cases you will be able to find research opportunities if you are actively seeking them out.
(08-31-2021, 03:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-30-2021, 09:51 PM)in love with a lolita Wrote: thank you so much for that info Focus. By any chance, do u know of a research program that is open to someone from a DO school? It is even worth trying? I enjoy doing research. I coulden't get md because of bad grades in college. thank you again

You should definitely try. As you know, the process is more difficult coming from a DO program (not sure what your stats are like). But definitely prioritize matching first, in most cases you will be able to find research opportunities if you are actively seeking them out.

Thanks a lot man. Just wondering, considering my DO background, would you suggest ENT over NS? I have some connections with a ENT program (dad is close friend with PD and some of the attendings). Would it make more sense to put my efforts into ENT? Thank you again
ENT is more competitive. A lot of creeps with good “score” end up in neurosurgery. If there is any question do ENT.
ENT is historically more competitive but neurosurgery is more elitist so being a DO would probably hurt you more in neurosurgery than ENT. If you think you can backdoor yourself into ENT that may be a safer bet. You could also dual apply if you have the funds to do so.
(08-31-2021, 08:45 PM)Guest Wrote: ENT is historically more competitive but neurosurgery is more elitist so being a DO would probably hurt you more in neurosurgery than ENT. If you think you can backdoor yourself into ENT that may be a safer bet. You could also dual apply if you have the funds to do so.

Thank you so much. I might apply both, funds are no problem for me. I hope I can sort of backdoor myself into a small program where my dad is an attending at (in another field, but close to the ent guys). ENT sounds like a fun field too where the personalities are nicer, and lots of clinical aspects too.
Ent is good if you can’t do neurosurgery. It’s looks like the op can’t do neurosurgery, couldn’t even do md lol

But yes move towards pass fail means qualitative aspects-ie connections- matter the most
(09-01-2021, 03:00 AM)Guest Wrote: Ent is good if you can’t do neurosurgery. It’s looks like the op can’t do neurosurgery, couldn’t even do md lol

But yes move towards pass fail means qualitative aspects-ie connections- matter the most

without scores, the name of the med school becomes more important.  bad news for osteopathic applicants.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)