Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s considered high # of papers?
I’m a 231 scorer, 2 H/1 HP (three rotations in) and 4 papers under review. What do I need to do to outdo my low step score?
20 papers is what I consider the benchmark for high. Quantity isn't everything though.
Thanks Focus, is that including papers under review?
(09-02-2021, 10:32 AM)Guest Wrote: Thanks Focus, is that including papers under review?

Accepted and in print yes, under review no.
Thanks
Does letter to the editor or peer reviewed review carry any weight?
(09-02-2021, 08:17 PM)Guest Wrote: Does letter to the editor or peer reviewed review carry any weight?

If they're in indexed journals, of course...
When it comes to quantity, are PDs aware of the academic fraud that is possible these days to get an applicant to 10+ papers in indexed journals in your time as a medical student? 10-20 years ago it would be unheard of to have > 5 papers applying as a med student (if that), but in powerhouse departments now it is possible to join a superteam of residents and attendings and easily gross 10+ middle author papers if everyone is giving complementary authorship to the whole gang.

So how exactly does a PD distinguish between 10+ middle author papers (which could be case reports and small case series) in low-tier/mediocre journals vs. 5-6 first authors in mediocre/high-tier papers?

I know PDs don't have time to vet each applicants papers and scroll to the Author Contributions section for each paper of every applicant (if the journal even has that section), so how do they PRACTICALLY assess an applicants participation in the research? Are they interrogating that publication number on interview day? Should it be expressed in letters? Is it their gestalt or what?
^^ I agree with the above sentiment. I am busting my ass doing entire papers from start to finish. Other medical students come in when the project is finished and just spend time writing and/or editing English and their names get slapped on. There is no way I can ever possibly get to 20 papers by the time ERAs is due.
That is why it is a high bar. Most applicants with 20 meaningful contributions to meaningful papers took a year or more off. I would say the average is probably about three so no need to feel bad about not having 20 papers. There are many ways to stand out and publications are in many ways the easiest way.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)