Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would an industry year look to residency programs?
Been involved with translation of neuro-onc therapies and surgical devices during med school. Was interested in working in an industry capacity for a year between MS3 and MS4 for some further experience before applying neurosurgery. Would this shoot me in the foot for residency apps? I'm sure there will be faculty out there who think I am not committed to neurosurgery for doing some off-the-beaten-path work for a bit?

Stats: 
Step 1 24X
Publications: 30+
Mix of honors and high pass throughout ms3.
One patent (surgery related)
Obtained a few industry grants >$500k.

Thanks for the input and advice.

(09-13-2021, 04:39 PM)Guest Wrote: Been involved with translation of neuro-onc therapies and surgical devices during med school. Was interested in working in an industry capacity for a year between MS3 and MS4 for some further experience before applying neurosurgery. Would this shoot me in the foot for residency apps? I'm sure there will be faculty out there who think I am not committed to neurosurgery for doing some off-the-beaten-path work for a bit?

Stats: 
Step 1 24X
Publications: 30+
Mix of honors and high pass throughout ms3.
One patent (surgery related)
Obtained a few industry grants >$500k.

Thanks for the input and advice.
OP here. I should mention the grants were NIH-funded, but for industry work.
Wouldn’t be a negative if you could spin it as a research year and are able to get pubs out of it
(09-13-2021, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Wouldn’t be a negative if you could spin it as a research year and are able to get pubs out of it

Probably wouldn't be working on research. Have to also disclose where I went/what I did for the year no? And if I were to have a research mentor for the year, they'd expect me to be publishing. Don't want to half ass either the industry work or the research work. I would, of course, be getting a few papers published during the year (projects I had initiated prior).
You sound like a top-notch applicant. The one thing you haven't disclosed here, which I think is the most important one, is why you want to do it? What's your intention? How can a neurosurgery department, and the field in general benefit from you and your experience? If you can spin that the right way, then I wouldn't even say you need many pubs coming out of it. It would definitely be unique, and I'd personally sell it along the lines of 'building experiences to form strong ties between academia and industry, which is incredibly important for the successful execution of cost-intensive clinical and translational studies'. I would, however, make sure that you have an influential mentor who's backing that decision. Best of luck, sounds cool!
Not great
Nothing wrong with an industry year, particularly one focused on therapy or device development. I wouldn't hide it, I would own it
Flight risk - why you doing neurosurgery?
Sounds like you wanted to try your hand in industry to become rich, couldn’t make it and are now trying for ns because it’s the best you can get. Unlike industry, u don’t have to produce good results in ns
how do u get so many pubs in just one year?
(09-13-2021, 05:11 PM)Guest Wrote: You sound like a top-notch applicant. The one thing you haven't disclosed here, which I think is the most important one, is why you want to do it? What's your intention? How can a neurosurgery department, and the field in general benefit from you and your experience? If you can spin that the right way, then I wouldn't even say you need many pubs coming out of it. It would definitely be unique, and I'd personally sell it along the lines of 'building experiences to form strong ties between academia and industry, which is incredibly important for the successful execution of cost-intensive clinical and translational studies'. I would, however, make sure that you have an influential mentor who's backing that decision. Best of luck, sounds cool!

Listen to this person.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)