Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doing research with a PD: CONS?
I am thinking of doing NS research with a PD at a mid-tier program. 

I know the benefits (get to know a PD). 

What what are the cons?  Would it be better to do research with a NS who is not a PD? 

If I do a shit job and fuck up, will the PD tell other PDs about me???

PD = program director

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH
One PD told me on SUBI a few years ago “once you’ve made a good impression the best thing for you is to never see me again.”
(09-20-2021, 10:14 AM)Guest Wrote: One PD told me on SUBI a few years ago “once you’ve made a good impression the best thing for you is to never see me again.”

Thank you. so its a bad idea? Makes sense since more time means more mistakes and more issues. 

However I did a research thesis and at first my mentor had a low opinion of me but at the end he really liked me so i wonder if the same will happen for the PD?

Also would a PD tell other PDs not to take me if I do a poor job?
Simple. If you are liked you are in if not you are out.

(09-20-2021, 10:14 AM)Guest Wrote: One PD told me on SUBI a few years ago “once you’ve made a good impression the best thing for you is to never see me again.”

Yikes!! Sounds like a threat.
(09-20-2021, 12:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thank you. so its a bad idea? Makes sense since more time means more mistakes and more issues. 

However I did a research thesis and at first my mentor had a low opinion of me but at the end he really liked me so i wonder if the same will happen for the PD?

If you do a really bad job maybe, but generally that feedback is provided only when requested. In other words, unless some other program director calls the program director to ask specifically about you, you probably will not be brought up voluntarily. You just aren't that important. The likelihood of this happening is lower when you are not actually from the institution in question because it would be harder for them to associate you with that program director unless they were one of your letter writers, which you have control of. For them to take active action against you requires some pretty shady stuff on your part not just incompetence.
(09-20-2021, 04:23 PM)Focus Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 12:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

If you do a really bad job maybe, but generally that feedback is provided only when requested. In other words, unless some other program director calls the program director to ask specifically about you, you probably will not be brought up voluntarily. You just aren't that important. The likelihood of this happening is lower when you are not actually from the institution in question because it would be harder for them to associate you with that program director unless they were one of your letter writers, which you have control of. For them to take active action against you requires some pretty shady stuff on your part not just incompetence.

Oh ok thank you so much. I guess their is nothing really to lose, as I don't plan on doing anything shady/illegal. Worse comes to worst, I just won't ask for a letter.

This is SO true. 
Ignore this pearl at your peril.
As in “never see me again… until you find out on match day that you matched at my program”
(09-20-2021, 06:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is SO true. 

that sounds like a threat. how many PDs are like that? you should call the cops on that idiot.
(09-20-2021, 10:06 PM)MS1 OP Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 06:46 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is SO true. 

that sounds like a threat. how many PDs are like that? you should call the cops on that idiot.

I don’t read that as a threat. It seems the point is more that many people make a good impression but then, as they linger around, that impression changes for the worse. After having made a good impression, you can only hurt yourself. Sort of like when you nail step 1… step 2 can only hurt you, you’re better off waiting until after the new year to take it.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)