Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most cush residency?
I know all NS is hard, but I don't want to flog myself unnecessarily. 

So what are the places that are the most cush/least intense?

I know:

Mayo -- all 3 locations seem good
BNI -- I believe so
Cleveland Clinic -- I believe so
Stanford

What other places?

Thank you all so much!
Cleveland Clinic and Stanford are not cush (at least from what I've heard from residents/former SubIs). As a junior resident in 95% of programs, you will be inundated with BS consults, floor pager stupidity, discharges, pre-opping, etc. This is especially true if you are a junior resident that has to cover both pediatric and adult services or multiple hospitals at the same time (avoid at all costs).

The places that have very strong mid-level support or hybrid programs like Mayo, Carolinas, Barrow, UConn, Stony Brook will have less scut work for junior residents. I think WashU and Colorado also have a large number of midlevels to help out.
(09-25-2021, 05:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Cleveland Clinic and Stanford are not cush (at least from what I've heard from residents/former SubIs). As a junior resident in 95% of programs, you will be inundated with BS consults, floor pager stupidity, discharges, pre-opping, etc. This is especially true if you are a junior resident that has to cover both pediatric and adult services or multiple hospitals at the same time (avoid at all costs).

The places that have very strong mid-level support or hybrid programs like Mayo, Carolinas, Barrow, UConn, Stony Brook will have less scut work for junior residents. I think WashU and Colorado also have a large number of midlevels to help out.

Thanks a lot I will look into the ones you mentioned. UConn and Carolinas sounds like a good location too. Mayo is first choice of course, the most cush of them all I believe.
(09-25-2021, 06:02 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 05:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Cleveland Clinic and Stanford are not cush (at least from what I've heard from residents/former SubIs). As a junior resident in 95% of programs, you will be inundated with BS consults, floor pager stupidity, discharges, pre-opping, etc. This is especially true if you are a junior resident that has to cover both pediatric and adult services or multiple hospitals at the same time (avoid at all costs).

Thanks a lot I will look into the ones you mentioned. UConn and Carolinas sounds like a good location too. Mayo is first choice of course, the most cush of them all I believe.

My impression of Mayo is that you’re expected to use that extra time productively. Residents spend time in the skull base lab, doing clinical research, etc. They want ppl who will use that time to go above and beyond
(09-25-2021, 07:42 PM)Guest Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 06:02 PM)Guest Wrote:

My impression of Mayo is that you’re expected to use that extra time productively. Residents spend time in the skull base lab, doing clinical research, etc. They want ppl who will use that time to go above and beyond

Big difference between rounding on 30 patients before 6am and doing lab work on the weekend on your free time.
(09-25-2021, 04:36 PM)Guest Wrote: I know all NS is hard, but I don't want to flog myself unnecessarily. 

So what are the places that are the most cush/least intense?

I know:

Mayo -- all 3 locations seem good
BNI -- I believe so
Cleveland Clinic -- I believe so
Stanford

What other places?

Thank you all so much!

Lol no. Newer Mayo locations unclear so far, and Cleveland Clinic and Stanford are definitely not chill. From what I've heard from a current pgy4, people have left these programs in recent years because they're marketed as more cush programs and are brutal in reality once you get in. Not that you should be looking for easy programs anyways
Yale. Not much operative experience, lot of downtime for genomics research.
(09-26-2021, 08:07 AM)Guest Wrote: Yale. Not much operative experience, lot of downtime for genomics research.

Nah…in their zoom most of the residents were still in the hospital at 7-8pm. Seems like a nice place but didn’t get the impression they are doing less hours than anyone else.
(09-26-2021, 11:08 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-26-2021, 08:07 AM)Guest Wrote: Yale. Not much operative experience, lot of downtime for genomics research.

Nah…in their zoom most of the residents were still in the hospital at 7-8pm. Seems like a nice place but didn’t get the impression they are doing less hours than anyone else.

Best of the ivies?
Why don't Stanford and Clevaland the other top places hire more mid-levels to do the work? what is the point of overworking residents?

I like Mayos way which miminizes unnessary work, keeping residents fresh and alert for better patient care and quality research

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)