Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things are getting real bad out their.
(10-17-2021, 11:08 AM)Guest Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 01:10 AM)Completely Fucked Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 07:24 PM)Focus Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 01:45 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote:
(10-16-2021, 05:30 AM)Focus Wrote: I think that you're drastically overemphasizing the effect.

Well around 15% of US MD grads didn't match; only a few years ago it was 1-2%. 15% is a pretty big number, if anything we are underemphasizing the problem. 

I have seen first-hand kids who didn't even soap/scramble--no red flags, no repeated years or anything. They have to get like research job and reapply and its horrible. 

Medicine is becoming like law school, if u are a top grad u get tons of jobs at your choice, but if you are not or are just unlucky you are fucked real bad.

My understanding is that 6.7% didn't match. It was like 5% when I went to medical school, to the best of my recollection. There are tons of spots still that may be less desirable. As others have said, you aren't owed a specific specialty slot.

The figure is actually around 7.2% (I just checked). The 5% you speak of is probably incorrect as well. But assuming it is correct, it is not a complete picture because of the ease of soap in the old days. SOAP has gotten a lot harder because of the MASSIVE rise in DO and MD schools.

So even though it used to be 5%, it was very easy to SOAP. Now its 7.2% and a lot harder to soap and scramble. I don't think its possible to SOAP into gen surgery or rads or anasteology unless you went out of your way to make backup plans. Nowadays they want research specifically in the field. So you have to SOAP into IM or FM. 

I am not saying anyone is owed anything. But I do feel that successful completion of medical school should lead to residency. 

For me, personally, I am MS1, so I am doing research in neuro-radiology, and hope to later go into more skull-base research. This is so that I will have a lot of backup options (radiology, gen surgery, ENT) should I have the need. 

So I feel that you really need to plan ahead nowadays in terms of research, so that you can cover more bases. That's why I spend so much time here, as proper planning is vital nowadays. Or else your gonna get fucked real bad.

Seriously, you're just in the beginning of medical school. You don't need to neurotically stress about your future at this point. Focus on medical school right now. You're involved in research already, so you have a headstart. Seeing MS1s needlessly ranting about this shit at this stage is seriously annoying.

Right. Like Jesus take Step 1 first and see if you’re even in shooting range for neurosurgery before the sky is falling panic about the field. God forbid you spend all this time yelling the sky is falling and doing research in 4 fields and get a 220.
(10-17-2021, 03:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 11:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Seriously, you're just in the beginning of medical school. You don't need to neurotically stress about your future at this point. Focus on medical school right now. You're involved in research already, so you have a headstart. Seeing MS1s needlessly ranting about this shit at this stage is seriously annoying.

Right. Like Jesus take Step 1 first and see if you’re even in shooting range for neurosurgery before the sky is falling panic about the field. God forbid you spend all this time yelling the sky is falling and doing research in 4 fields and get a 220.

Well step 1 is pass/fail. My grades are on the upper end, so I would say I'm preparing ok for my steps. I will look over my Anki in the summer to review year old stuff. 

The number of med schools are increasing, so things are getting bad. 

I've seen first-hand kids not matching so things are getting rough. Might as well accept reality and prepare for the tough times ahead.

(10-17-2021, 07:21 AM)Focus Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 01:10 AM)Completely Fucked Wrote: The figure is actually around 7.2% (I just checked). The 5% you speak of is probably incorrect as well. But assuming it is correct, it is not a complete picture because of the ease of soap in the old days. SOAP has gotten a lot harder because of the MASSIVE rise in DO and MD schools.

So even though it used to be 5%, it was very easy to SOAP. Now its 7.2% and a lot harder to soap and scramble. I don't think its possible to SOAP into gen surgery or rads or anasteology unless you went out of your way to make backup plans. Nowadays they want research specifically in the field. So you have to SOAP into IM or FM. 

I am not saying anyone is owed anything. But I do feel that successful completion of medical school should lead to residency. 

For me, personally, I am MS1, so I am doing research in neuro-radiology, and hope to later go into more skull-base research. This is so that I will have a lot of backup options (radiology, gen surgery, ENT) should I have the need. 

So I feel that you really need to plan ahead nowadays in terms of research, so that you can cover more bases. That's why I spend so much time here, as proper planning is vital nowadays. Or else your gonna get fucked real bad.
What data do you have to support this.

What do you mean by "this"? I would say, looking at the increase in schools, it is going to be more competitive. I have spent hours and hours and hours reading online forms about this and that is what conclusion I have come up with. I have probably read thousands of posts and these are my conclusions. 

Of course, I might be wrong and perhaps I am overestimating the difficulty, but it doesn't hurt to be well-prepared.
(10-17-2021, 05:05 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 11:08 AM)Guest Wrote: Seriously, you're just in the beginning of medical school. You don't need to neurotically stress about your future at this point. Focus on medical school right now. You're involved in research already, so you have a headstart. Seeing MS1s needlessly ranting about this shit at this stage is seriously annoying.

Well step 1 is pass/fail. My grades are on the upper end, so I would say I'm preparing ok for my steps. I will look over my Anki in the summer to review year old stuff. 

I've seen first-hand kids not matching so things are getting rough. Might as well accept reality and prepare for the tough times ahead.

(10-17-2021, 01:10 AM)Completely Fucked Wrote: The figure is actually around 7.2% (I just checked). The 5% you speak of is probably incorrect as well. But assuming it is correct, it is not a complete picture because of the ease of soap in the old days. SOAP has gotten a lot harder because of the MASSIVE rise in DO and MD schools.

What do you mean by "this"? I would say, looking at the increase in schools, it is going to be more competitive. I have spent hours and hours and hours reading online forms about this and that is what conclusion I have come up with. I have probably read thousands of posts and these are my conclusions. 

Of course, I might be wrong and perhaps I am overestimating the difficulty, but it doesn't hurt to be well-prepared.
Seriously, they're not telling you to chill out to be mean. They're right. It's fine getting some insight into what lies ahead, but don't freak out and fixate about this at this stage. You're an MS1. Staying in the moment and enjoying the last vestiges of a comparatively cushy experience as a student compared to what comes later on is very important for your mental health. I presume you have a NSGY faculty mentor already in medical school. They can guide you and reassure you throughout your journey so that all your worries are moot. Just do the work, follow their advice, and, again, you'll be fine.
They are right to be worried….I’m at 20+ interviews and still scared shitless because match rate still <95% for people ranking 20+ programs which is insane if you think about it
(10-17-2021, 05:28 PM)Guest Wrote:

Seriously, they're not telling you to chill out to be mean. They're right. It's fine getting some insight into what lies ahead, but don't freak out and fixate about this at this stage. You're an MS1. Staying in the moment and enjoying the last vestiges of a comparatively cushy experience as a student compared to what comes later on is very important for your mental health. I presume you have a NSGY faculty mentor already in medical school. They can guide you and reassure you throughout your journey so that all your worries are moot. Just do the work, follow their advice, and, again, you'll be fine.

This is good advice, if you're trying to not match
I think some of y'all would benefit from a nice walk in a park. You do not get coupon to relive your life after this. Yes being competitive and budgeting your time are important but don't lose sight of all else. You should be enjoying the process and if you are delaying all gratification under the assumption that things will get better then I suspect you will find that you are never at the point where you can't justify delaying gratification in the future. If getting into neurosurgery is all misery and stress then I suggest you find a different specialty. If that had been my experience during medical school I definitely would not have gone into neurosurgery.
(10-17-2021, 08:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-17-2021, 05:28 PM)Guest Wrote:

This is good advice, if you're trying to not match

Speaking as someone who matched earlier this year and is now an intern, that is good advice for a first year medical student. The unnecessary stressing and obsession about how difficult it’s gonna be did not help me in the slightest. I wish I had some of that time I obsessed back to enjoy my life a bit more. It’s a brutal experience when you start residency. Ya’ll need to chill a bit.
(10-17-2021, 09:06 PM)Focus Wrote: I think some of y'all would benefit from a nice walk in a park. You do not get coupon to relive your life after this. Yes being competitive and budgeting your time are important but don't lose sight of all else. You should be enjoying the process and if you are delaying all gratification under the assumption that things will get better then I suspect you will find that you are never at the point where you can't justify delaying gratification in the future. If getting into neurosurgery is all misery and stress then I suggest you find a different specialty. If that had been my experience during medical school I definitely would not have gone into neurosurgery.

Thank you for all your advice, and thank you to everyone else as well. 

I would say I'm enjoying my life as much as can be expected. I wouldn't call myself miserable. I spend my spare time working on research, but I enjoy that. 

I walk a lot and enjoy doing Anki as I walk. 

I suspect this place suffers from a lot of survivorship bias. The fact is that, the guys who don't match are not going to be posting here. Those guys are going to tell you to plan ahead and spend some time making sure you are making the right decisions. But they don't post here; only the people who are successful post here. 

So that's why you get all these "you should relax" comments.
Who gives better advice, people who successfully chatted a course to residency or those who failed to? Do they really know what the right decisions are compared to actual neurosurgeons?
No, they don't. But that wasn't what the above poster was getting at. The advice part is good, but it doesn't feel that genuine or helpful to hear residents and attendings say to just calm down. I suppose there's not much else to say, to be frank, but I know plenty of residents who tell that to this year's applicants but, when they were applying, were shitting their pants as well. It's just the name of the game and I guess as applicants we have to accept this. But people should also acknowledge that we're in unprecedented times with the covid changes to the match, and that there's simply no precedent to this year's or last year's match (as both had very unique situations around the application and subI's). Look at the clusterfuck of subIs, where some places were packed and others ended up without any students. It just adds to the uncertainty and anxiety

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)