Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things are getting real bad out their.
(10-18-2021, 06:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Who are we talking about? What institution?

Yeah because the point of being anonymous is to say what institution you’re at…
(10-18-2021, 08:39 PM)Guest Wrote:

I mean might as well be honest. why post a message on this board talking about someone else if you're gonna be honest.
(10-18-2021, 09:13 PM)Guest Wrote:

I mean might as well be honest. why post a message on this board talking about someone else if you're gonna be honest.

I’m sure you thought that was clever. Still a stupid take.

(10-18-2021, 09:13 PM)Guest Wrote:

Since you’re posting on this board. Why don’t you tell us where you’re at?
some fantastic advice, if you want to match into family medicine or roll the dice with a shit-tier program. So if that is what you want, by all means take it easy and focus on building up your.... personality, whatever that means.

Lots of guys here are in shit-tier programs, so that should tell you a lot.

If you want to go to the top programs, look at what their residents have done. Many have started neuro research even before entering medical school. Most have published even before stepping a foot in med school, and they use med school to continue doing research. So by the end of MS1, they have contacts with PDs and have published with well-known attendings in well-known journals. They are considered "up-and-coming" and they are the guys who match into the top programs. 

If you finish the first semester of MS1 without a publication, you are already behind. 

Personality matters insofar as you are not a jerk or bully.

Again, just look at the top guys, and you will see what you need to do. Look at the residents at Barrow, Mayo, USCF, MGH and then post here telling me I'm wrong. 

If you are MS1, you better get publishing or be content with shit-tier programs slogging 90+ hours/week for 7 years -- or family medicine.
(10-18-2021, 11:31 PM)Reality Hurts Wrote: some fantastic advice, if you want to match into family medicine or roll the dice with a shit-tier program. So if that is what you want, by all means take it easy and focus on building up your.... personality, whatever that means.

If you want to go to the top programs, look at what their residents have done. Many have started neuro research even before entering medical school. Most have published even before stepping a foot in med school, and they use med school to continue doing research. So by the end of MS1, they have contacts with PDs and have published with well-known attendings in well-known journals. They are considered "up-and-coming" and they are the guys who match into the top programs. 

If you finish the first semester of MS1 without a publication, you are already behind. 

Again, just look at the top guys, and you will see what you need to do. Look at the residents at Barrow, Mayo, USCF, MGH and then post here telling me I'm wrong. 

If you are MS1, you better get publishing or be content with shit-tier programs slogging 90+ hours/week for 7 years -- or family medicine.

You have no idea what you're talking about as a first year medical student. No one is saying don't be productive. What people are trying to say is you could have written a case report
or otherwise improve yourself in the time you've spent freaking out on this webpage.
(10-18-2021, 11:31 PM)Reality Hurts Wrote: some fantastic advice, if you want to match into family medicine or roll the dice with a shit-tier program. So if that is what you want, by all means take it easy and focus on building up your.... personality, whatever that means.

It’s incredible how clueless you are, yet full of yourself. You clearly have no idea about what people, especially at many top-tier programs, want in an applicant, because all you know is looking up resident profiles. 
„If you finish the first semester of MS1 without a publication, you are already behind.“ Anyone reading this, don’t believe this idiot and move on. Nearly every resident class of the top 10 programs, however you prestige-thirsty fools might define this, has 1-2 people that don’t stand out for their research, but their personality and non academic background. I sincerely hope you will change your attitude or don’t match if you stay that way, as you display a lot of arrogance and unlikeable character traits. Take from that what you want, a moment of introspection or a need to defend yourself with another silly rant about who‘s behind and who isn’t
It’s the same people that post 6 top 10 interviews before interviews are even sent out. They have some twisted logic that they’ll somehow intimidate all their competition from entering neurosurgery.
Are you telling me barrow didn’t actually send interviews
Thank you to everyone for the advice here. I'm MS1

Here is what I am doing

I currently have several pubs, including a few first-author. 

I am currently working with an attending from a top program on a retrospective review. I believe he will throw a few case studies my way. I hope to form a good relationship with this gentleman with the goal of him writing me a letter. 

Sign up for various RSOs. I just log-in the Zoom meetings and put it on mute. I don't do any work, and I guess it looks good on my resume. 

Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you again .
(10-19-2021, 06:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Thank you to everyone for the advice here. I'm MS1

Here is what I am doing

I currently have several pubs, including a few first-author. 

I am currently working with an attending from a top program on a retrospective review. I believe he will throw a few case studies my way. I hope to form a good relationship with this gentleman with the goal of him writing me a letter. 

Sign up for various RSOs. I just log-in the Zoom meetings and put it on mute. I don't do any work, and I guess it looks good on my resume. 

Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you again .
You already have pubs, including first-author. So research looks very good so far.  Far better than myself, and I'm applying right now. Focus on doing well in medical school (grades and test scores). Try your best to get into the 1st quartile, Honor (or if not, High-Pass) most, if not all your clerkships. That plays a big role at many places for getting AOA induction, which can help. 

Since Step 2 will be the primary exam given Step 1 is P/F, work hard at that to make sure you get a great score. A STRONG STEP 2 SCORE WILL BE KEY.

And work with your faculty and maintain a good relationship with them. LORs will be very important too. 

Moreover, try to be active in medical school, including in non-neurosurgical stuff. In my interviews, more than 1/2 the time was spent talking about my volunteer activities and interests OUTSIDE of NSGY. 

And try not to obsess over things like some of the posters in this thread. Do the work, and look after your mental health too, don't fixate on things, and don't assume that you must get into the biggest programs or bust. Curb your enthusiasm a bit, and everything will work out.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)