Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgeon Research Fellows at MAYO who NEVER match????
So I was browsing online and came across all these "Research Fellows" at Mayo Clinic. They all had like 50+ publications. HOWEVER, NONE OF THEM MATCH. They just apply and reapply and NEVER match?

I looked on their twitter and online presence and ALL make it clear that they want to go into NS. However, virtually NONE of them eventually get into NS. 

Why is that???? Why does MAYO do that???
It’s not just Mayo; whole field is a scam for FMGs and they should steer far away from neurosurgery. Some of the most two-faced people on earth in this field; they tell people what they want to hear to keep them in these positions knowing full well what the outcome will be.
Personally knew one of these FMG’s that did a fellow ship at Mayo, and 3 other places and eventually matched like 7 years later with 150+ pubs. Crazy long haul commitment.
All of these “pre-residency fellowship” positions are scams. They just deceive FMGs and non-competitive US grads into doing slave labor and scut for them for years. It literally wastes their lives and careers.
Once again people in this forum are spewing half truths. First off, pre-residency fellowships are not the same as a research fellowship. Former are starting to reappear more, and there are many arguments to be made that they’re a better time investment (irrespective of pubs being the name of the game right now), then crunching through 50 mediocre papers. It’s a very nuanced issue. Many of those IMGs match. Some don’t. How would you know they never match? How would you know who already applied and who didn’t? Many take 2-3 years before their first application due to obvious reasons. I have never seen anyone of those mentoring them be dishonest about the prospects of their pursuit, yet the whole idea of IMGs never matching is simply false. It’s significantly harder, but many of them are the most hard working people out there and they prevail.
The Mayo mill is prominent for taking many IMGs, but they have a good track record with matching them.
American programs should not be matching any FMGs. Period.
For the sake of this beautiful profession, they should match the best applicants. Sometimes these are FMGs
(10-20-2021, 08:50 AM)Guest Wrote: Once again people in this forum are spewing half truths. First off, pre-residency fellowships are not the same as a research fellowship. Former are starting to reappear more, and there are many arguments to be made that they’re a better time investment (irrespective of pubs being the name of the game right now), then crunching through 50 mediocre papers. It’s a very nuanced issue. Many of those IMGs match. Some don’t. How would you know they never match? How would you know who already applied and who didn’t? Many take 2-3 years before their first application due to obvious reasons. I have never seen anyone of those mentoring them be dishonest about the prospects of their pursuit, yet the whole idea of IMGs never matching is simply false. It’s significantly harder, but many of them are the most hard working people out there and they prevail.
The Mayo mill is prominent for taking many IMGs, but they have a good track record with matching them.

You sound like a Mayo mill boss yourself. 

I looked up over a dozen such people in neurosurgery. I got their name from the publications and then looked them up on linkined, twitter, researchGate, etc. Literally NONE of the people I looked up ever matched into anything!

I am referring to the research fellowships at Mayo here. I looked some pre-residency NS fellowships (other institutes) and I did see some matched in neurology and rad onc. 

ALL of the MAYO people I looked up either went back to their home countries, or continued to be LAB RATS at Mayo or some other top institute. 

ALSO ALMOST ALL of the research they did was BS stuff--just retrospective reviews on some obscure outcomes, chart reviews, case studies, etc. I don't see the point in this? Is this just to boost the institution's name?

What is going on at MAYO???
(10-20-2021, 01:35 PM)Completely Fucked Wrote:
(10-20-2021, 08:50 AM)Guest Wrote: Once again people in this forum are spewing half truths. First off, pre-residency fellowships are not the same as a research fellowship. Former are starting to reappear more, and there are many arguments to be made that they’re a better time investment (irrespective of pubs being the name of the game right now), then crunching through 50 mediocre papers. It’s a very nuanced issue. Many of those IMGs match. Some don’t. How would you know they never match? How would you know who already applied and who didn’t? Many take 2-3 years before their first application due to obvious reasons. I have never seen anyone of those mentoring them be dishonest about the prospects of their pursuit, yet the whole idea of IMGs never matching is simply false. It’s significantly harder, but many of them are the most hard working people out there and they prevail.

You sound like a Mayo mill boss yourself. 

I looked up over a dozen such people in neurosurgery. I got their name from the publications and then looked them up on linkined, twitter, researchGate, etc. Literally NONE of the people I looked up ever matched into anything!

I am referring to the research fellowships at Mayo here. I looked some pre-residency NS fellowships (other institutes) and I did see some matched in neurology and rad onc. 

ALL of the MAYO people I looked up either went back to their home countries, or continued to be LAB RATS at Mayo or some other top institute. 

ALSO ALMOST ALL of the research they did was BS stuff--just retrospective reviews on some obscure outcomes, chart reviews, case studies, etc. I don't see the point in this? Is this just to boost the institution's name?

What is going on at MAYO???

I hear they have a mentorship model.
This statement is blatantly false. Some match, some don't. Here are some examples of FMGs/IMGs who did research at Mayo then matched somewhere. The current PGY4 at Mayo, two at UVA, one at Mayo Florida...etc.
Not here to defend Mayo research fellowship or others. This specialty is competitive even to domestic applicants. I know some successful stories of FMGs/IMGs who matched from the first attempt and others who didn't match after 4 attempts. I know some who barely got one interview or few and only matched at their research program because they worked for the chair/PD with the right timing, otherwise they would have never matched. I know stories of lab directors who used their fellows and gave them false promises but actually did not help them
On average, every cycle there are 10 or so IMGs/FMGs who succeed to match and 2-3 spots that get filled as advanced positions like PGY2 or PGY3 because a resident got fired or left and the program wanted someone they know and that research fellow/clinical fellow already completed residency at his home country or prelim surgery here in the US

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)