Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is who you are competing with
Shocked 
A profile I found online

He has 33 publications and is only a third year student!

I have seen a number of such applicants online, he is one of many. They are like machines. 

How does one compete against such candidates? How it is possible to publish basically a paper every two weeks??

Many of you are going to COPE and say, "B-b-b-but muh interpersonal skills is better". But...is that really trueHuh

What do I do, anons?
Let's not make it a trend to discuss individual students thanks. I removed the link.
It’s all good; the ucsf PD said at CNS he doesn’t care about pubs, scores, etc and it’s all about letters and having an interesting life experience (being a door framer or some shit he said) so just make sure your daddy knows the right people to write you a solid letter and go make some shit up about how you played cricket in Mongolia for a couple years while starting a dance foundation for kids with Down syndrome like people do for medschool and you are good!
(10-26-2021, 03:13 PM)Guest Wrote: It’s all good; the ucsf PD said at CNS he doesn’t care about pubs, scores, etc and it’s all about letters and having an interesting life experience (being a door framer or some shit he said) so just make sure your daddy knows the right people to write you a solid letter and  go make some shit up about how you played cricket in Mongolia for a couple years while starting a dance foundation for kids with Down syndrome like people do for medschool and you are good!

Is that true? did he really say that?

The gentleman I had in the original post has 33 publications in well-respected journals (not some pay to publish place). I just don't know how to be competitive anymore, it is OVER

I went on twitter and saw all the applicants and now i feel so depressd. their is no way i can publish 2 papers a week, no way.
for the love of god please relax. go smell a flower. make some tea. go to the gym. call your grandma. life ain't your h-index, just be solid on paper and become a person that others enjoy being around.

/thread
(10-26-2021, 05:53 PM)Guest Wrote: for the love of god please relax. go smell a flower. make some tea. go to the gym. call your grandma. life ain't your h-index, just be solid on paper and become a person that others enjoy being around.

/thread

What I try to tell the kids and they don’t get it! Just walk into the chairman’s office with a suit and tie, slap a resume on their desk and give them a firm handshake!
Hilarious but true.

So many will fail the handshake!
(10-26-2021, 06:00 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 05:53 PM)Guest Wrote: for the love of god please relax. go smell a flower. make some tea. go to the gym. call your grandma. life ain't your h-index, just be solid on paper and become a person that others enjoy being around.

/thread

What I try to tell the kids and they don’t get it! Just walk into the chairman’s office with a suit and tie, slap a resume on their desk and give them a firm handshake!

The problem is that these kids who are publishing 2 papers a week are also giving the Chair a firm handshake. And they also have good interpersonal skills, to have that kind of research output. And they probably have a ton of connections as well.
(10-26-2021, 11:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 06:00 PM)Guest Wrote:

/thread

The problem is that these kids who are publishing 2 papers a week are also giving the Chair a firm handshake. And they also have good interpersonal skills, to have that kind of research output. And they probably have a ton of connections as well.

Yeah, I can personally say that I have found that not all high output applicants have good interpersonal skills or handshakes.
Give me someone who is clutch at 2 am when the chips are down. That’s why SubIs are so important and my hope is we can invite the number we used to next year.

I personally look at the quality of the papers. If they don’t move the needle forward in neurosurgical care I don’t value them. Don’t tell us what we already know ie BMI leads to non routine discharge. Regardless of if Neurosurgery or JNS publish it, it tells me nothing.

We need to go back to regular number of SubIs and in person interviews next year. The stakes are too high.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)