Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the story with this guy??
According to the interactive charting outcomes for neurosurgery, in the last 5 years for US MD neurosurgery applicants there has only been 1 person to ever not match with more than 25 ranks. This person was 250+ on step1 and 2, AOA, 15+ pubs but no PhD, and applied in 2019 from what I can tell with the filters. How did this guy fuck up so royally, have such great stats and so many interviews but not match????? Is there a story with this guy that anyone knows because it keeps me up at night lol. Does anyone remember someone in 2019 who was a superstar and was everywhere but somehow fucked up this badly??

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/n...ngOutcomes
People fall through the cracks every year. Or maybe they were a royal asshat that everyone hated.

Better question: who obsesses over the NRMP stats this much? The only thing you can control is your own application. Pour your energy into that instead. I bet some you could have banged out a garbage case report in the amount of time you spend on this board discussing this nonsense.
I know someone at my home prog who had a similar story. Looked good on paper but the Dude was weird.
(11-03-2021, 12:42 PM)Guest Wrote: People fall through the cracks every year. Or maybe they were a royal asshat that everyone hated.

Better question: who obsesses over the NRMP stats this much? The only thing you can control is your own application. Pour your energy into that instead. I bet some you could have banged out a garbage case report in the amount of time you spend on this board discussing this nonsense.

Was figuring out if I should drop some interviews but if people still fall through cracks at 25+ then I guess I won’t; wanted to see if that was an actual concern or this guy had a freak story like became a heroin addict or some shit. Case reports don’t help you once you are actually sitting on 30+ interviews.
there was someone like this when i interviewed back in the day (like 10 years ago), not 25 ranks but interviewed at all the top places and were really good on paper. They were super weird in a loud way in person without any insight into their behavior, did not match, ended up filling an open slot the next year and I think has done great there. maybe a story in there about how weird people can be competent residents. there are also less weird people who fall through the cracks every year though.
This is what happens when you attend a low ranking medical school. your life is destroyed.
(11-03-2021, 07:55 PM)Guest Wrote: This is what happens when you attend a low ranking medical school. your life is destroyed.

Shut up dude. Don’t blame your medical school. Very lame. Your attitude is the problem.
(11-03-2021, 07:55 PM)Guest Wrote: This is what happens when you attend a low ranking medical school. your life is destroyed.

Seriously, I think you should talk to someone in real life about what's eating you.
So, I got this thread as a screenshot message from a friend who’s in neurosurgery residency and apparently follows this thread. I applied in NSG in 2019 from a top 15 school at the time with the above metrics. I felt compelled enough to come here and give you some perspective. I'm not going to lie, it was absolutely devastating to not march after all I did. However, as the old age adage says “time heals all.” So, here it is. I absolutely did everything in the book and more during medical school >95% boards, multiple publications, a few in journals with IF >5, grants and research fellowships, awesome clinical grades, and strong LORs from respected faculty from my home programs and away rotations. I was the most solid applicant from my class, and one of the most solid for a few years from a school that matched people into great programs historically. However, that Monday came and I got the dread “Sorry, you did not match” email. My family was torn, I was devastated. I legitimately did everything I could, and at the end of the fourth quarter, I fumbled the football. I asked myself so many question, I revisited this north of 100 x in my mind. I got nothing. I was solid, I thought. However, the time component gave me closure. A few weeks after the match two senior residents from programs I rotated at called me; I thought they wanted to give me their condolences…however, what they both said, independent of each other, is that a prominent faculty from my home program called their programs and essentially told them I was the devil in a short white coat. My home program sabotaged me. This was not the first time this happened, my home program had a failed coup to sabotage an upperclassmen of mine just the year prior. This was not a secret what happened to my upperclassman, everyone knew it including the Dean, but the medical school did not do anything but a slap in the hand of the said faculty. Come to find out from underclassmen of mine that as recebt as late last year, said faculty member still talked shit about me. I decided not to do anything, as I knew nothing was going to come of it. I won’t lie, I thought about smashing this dude’s face with a baseball bat soo many times. He took food away from my kids mouth. With that said, I got my closure.
Now, I am not the traditional medical student as far as personality. I have a strong personality, I asked questions, I was vocal into getting opportunities to help during rotation, I opened cases as a Sub-I before the intern, I put in a shunt, I dropped a EVD, etc…I’m sure that rubbed people off the wrong way. I am not apologizing for that.
Yet, I believe my biggest mistake was showing my cards. I showed my mentor my list, and my home program was not on top of that list. It didn’t make the top 10. I gave him a bullshit reason and said that I wanted to live in a big city, by the beach, etc. But the real reason was that most the residents in my home program were weak in knowledge and surgical skills. The amount of shit I saw them do was scary. Also, the ass kissing culture and culture of publishing garbage in high quantity was not what I wanted to do with my life.
So, there it is. I fucked up, they fucked up, the system is fucked up, and metrics won’t save you. Politics runs this shit; academic medicine I mean. These dickwads run in flocks. You should see their belligerent behavior in meetings and their superficiality exudes through their pores. But the field is also filled with great people who bust their ass in the hope of making meaningful change in their patients lives. So, there it is. Thats the story. Now, go crazy…
(11-03-2021, 09:31 PM)Guest Wrote: So, I got this thread as a screenshot message from a friend who’s in neurosurgery residency and apparently follows this thread. I applied in NSG in 2019 from a top 15 school at the time with the above metrics. I felt compelled enough to come here and give you some perspective. I'm not going to lie, it was absolutely devastating to not march after all I did. However, as the old age adage says “time heals all.” So, here it is. I absolutely did everything in the book and more during medical school >95% boards, multiple publications, a few in journals with IF >5, grants and research fellowships, awesome clinical grades, and strong LORs from respected faculty from my home programs and away rotations. I was the most solid applicant from my class, and one of the most solid for a few years from a school that matched people into great programs historically. However, that Monday came and I got the dread “Sorry, you did not match” email. My family was torn, I was devastated. I legitimately did everything I could, and at the end of the fourth quarter, I fumbled the football. I asked myself so many question, I revisited this north of 100 x in my mind. I got nothing. I was solid, I thought. However, the time component gave me closure. A few weeks after the match two senior residents from programs I rotated at called me; I thought they wanted to give me their condolences…however, what they both said, independent of each other, is that a prominent faculty from my home program called their programs and essentially told them I was the devil in a short white coat. My home program sabotaged me. This was not the first time this happened, my home program had a failed coup to sabotage an upperclassmen of mine just the year prior. This was not a secret what happened to my upperclassman, everyone knew it including the Dean, but the medical school did not do anything but a slap in the hand of the said faculty. Come to find out from underclassmen of mine that as recebt as late last year, said faculty member still talked shit about me. I decided not to do anything, as I knew nothing was going to come of it. I won’t lie, I thought about smashing this dude’s face with a baseball bat soo many times. He took food away from my kids mouth. With that said, I got my closure.
Now, I am not the traditional medical student as far as personality. I have a strong personality, I asked questions, I was vocal into getting opportunities to help during rotation, I opened cases as a Sub-I before the intern, I put in a shunt, I dropped a EVD, etc…I’m sure that rubbed people off the wrong way. I am not apologizing for that.
Yet, I believe my biggest mistake was showing my cards. I showed my mentor my list, and my home program was not on top of that list. It didn’t make the top 10. I gave him a bullshit reason and said that I wanted to live in a big city, by the beach, etc. But the real reason was that most the residents in my home program were weak in knowledge and surgical skills. The amount of shit I saw them do was scary. Also, the ass kissing culture and culture of publishing garbage in high quantity was not what I wanted to do with my life.
So, there it is. I fucked up, they fucked up, the system is fucked up, and metrics won’t save you. Politics runs this shit; academic medicine I mean. These dickwads run in flocks. You should see their belligerent  behavior in meetings and their superficiality exudes through their pores. But the field is also filled with great people who bust their ass in the hope of making meaningful change in their patients lives. So, there it is. Thats the story. Now, go crazy…

That’s wild and honestly just cowardice from that faculty member. If they don’t want you to match just man up and tell you so you can apply something else. Congrats on moving on in life; if something like that happens to anyone on this forum I hope we can just SOAP and adjust to our new circumstances and find peace with it.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)