Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jefferson
First off, it's a chill subI. Nobody really cares if you take call or not and there's so many residents that nobody looks after you. You have no responsibility to round or take notes (this might change this year as the people who matched this year apparently told the program director to make the SubI more legit)
You're entire job is to be helpful in the OR- you go to cases all day. The Jefferson case volume is impressive.They have 3 endovascular rooms running everyday (which students barely go to), and they have 1 hospital dedicated to neurosurgery where they do vascular and tumor. They have 2 skull base attendings, 2 tumor attendings, 2 functional attendings, 2 epilepsy, 3 vascular attendings and 5 spine attendings. Many attendings run two-three rooms at once and PA rules state that attending doesn't have to be in the room for time out so this lets the residents start many of the cases on their own. This usually amounts to 6-8 rooms running per hospital. Even with 2 spine fellows, 1 skull base fellow, 2 endovascular fellow, and usually 1 enfolded epilepsy fellow, many rooms often go uncovered. I got to do a lot in the OR as many of the residents are very nice and want you to have fun in the OR- and many of the attendings are incredibly nice (Judy, Andrews, Evans, Farrell come to mind).
When you're not in the OR, you usually stick with the intern who has the pager and you either see consults on your own or just tag along with them depending on the resident. Many of the residents were awesome- obviously like every program there's 1 or 2 less friendly but for the most part they look after each other and are a good team (the three they matched this year are all very nice as well)
As for a letter, Dr Sharan the program director is the guy to ask. He can seem extremely intimidating (he doesn't respond to emails and won't talk to you on purpose in the beginning) but this is his way of removing himself from the match process to make an unemotional decision. In reality he's one of the most supportive program directors I've met and always has the residents best interests in mind and from all accounts wrote me a very strong letter. Rosenwasser the chair is barely around but the work he does on the business side of things is very helpful for the hospital and the program which allows Jeff to be the most profitable and highest volume program in Philadelphia.
All in all, a great place to rotate.
Any recent rotators?
didn't they fire a pgy 5
(05-09-2019, 10:15 PM)Guest Wrote: didn't they fire a pgy 5

Heard she quit but attrition of n=1 doesn't concern me.
(05-09-2019, 10:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 10:15 PM)Guest Wrote: didn't they fire a pgy 5

Heard she quit but attrition of n=1 doesn't concern me.

she was fired. supposedly she was incompetent enough that they sent a PGY2 to CHOP rather than let her go there
Back to the topic. Anyone have recent experience here? Looks like they've changed the sub-i format per their website.
I would say most of what was previously written was true as of last year too. Never wrote any notes, would round on my post op patients only, rarely if ever presented them in the morning. SubI is focused on getting you into the OR, and little to no scut work. It is as busy as the previous poster said it is and there is no shortage of cases. When I was there, we took little to no overnight call, as the chiefs didn’t want us missing cases on post call days just to babysit the pager with the night resident, and ended up coming in for only a few weekend days over the whole month. The interns they matched this year are all amazing people too.
(05-20-2019, 12:49 PM)www Wrote: I would say most of what was previously written was true as of last year too. Never wrote any notes, would round on my post op patients only, rarely if ever presented them in the morning. SubI is focused on getting you into the OR, and little to no scut work. It is as busy as the previous poster said it is and there is no shortage of cases. When I was there, we took little to no overnight call, as the chiefs didn’t want us missing cases on post call days just to babysit the pager with the night resident, and ended up coming in for only a few weekend days over the whole month. The interns they matched this year are all amazing people too.

Who do you ask for a letter?
(07-21-2019, 03:27 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-20-2019, 12:49 PM)www Wrote: I would say most of what was previously written was true as of last year too. Never wrote any notes, would round on my post op patients only, rarely if ever presented them in the morning. SubI is focused on getting you into the OR, and little to no scut work. It is as busy as the previous poster said it is and there is no shortage of cases. When I was there, we took little to no overnight call, as the chiefs didn’t want us missing cases on post call days just to babysit the pager with the night resident, and ended up coming in for only a few weekend days over the whole month. The interns they matched this year are all amazing people too.

Who do you ask for a letter?

Sharan
Any comments on malignancy still in the program? Someone mentioned they fired a PGY 5, doesn't seem right..

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)