Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good/bad subi experiences this year?
Anyone really impressed/unimpressed with the program they did subi at this year and want to share what they thought of the program? MS3s have to start thinking about this soon..
go to a program you want to match at its not that hard
Avoid the big names; this year they all still took 40 students each and you would have been much better off this year being 1 of like 3 SubIs at a mid tier place. If you load up on big name places, they will accept you for a subI and it means nothing and they often won’t even give you an interview but you are losing your shot at making a name for yourself at a realistic place you could match at
(11-09-2021, 08:29 PM)Guest Wrote: Avoid the big names; this year they all still took 40 students each and you would have been much better off this year being 1 of like 3 SubIs at a mid tier place. If you load up on big name places, they will accept you for a subI and it means nothing and they often won’t even give you an interview  but you are losing your shot at making a name for yourself at a realistic place you could match at

even at lower tier places there were like 10 subIs for like 2 spots..........under the assumption that many people will go to mid/lower teir places, they could theoretically be more competitive that other years...the sub-I selection needs to be a little more fair and more open.
(11-09-2021, 10:13 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 08:29 PM)Guest Wrote: Avoid the big names; this year they all still took 40 students each and you would have been much better off this year being 1 of like 3 SubIs at a mid tier place. If you load up on big name places, they will accept you for a subI and it means nothing and they often won’t even give you an interview  but you are losing your shot at making a name for yourself at a realistic place you could match at

even at lower tier places there were like 10 subIs for like 2 spots..........under the assumption that many people will go to mid/lower teir places, they could theoretically be more competitive that other years...the sub-I selection needs to be a little more fair and more open.

The selection process is that there really isn’t any and they basically take anyone who applies. Mid-tier does not mean vandy/mtsinai/UMich etc, it means MCW/MUSC/UNebraska etc. This year almost everyone did their away subI at one of the top 10-15 places with literally half the applicants I have met rotating at barrow/ucsf/UWash and it’s a fucking shit show.
(11-09-2021, 10:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

The selection process is that there really isn’t any and they basically take anyone who applies. Mid-tier does not mean vandy/mtsinai/UMich etc, it means MCW/MUSC/UNebraska etc. This year almost everyone did their away subI at one of the top 10-15 places with literally half the applicants I have met rotating at barrow/ucsf/UWash and it’s a fucking shit show.

curious, does doing elite sub-Is help with number of interviews? if anyone did it at barrow/ucsf/UWash , how many interviews do you have so far?
(11-09-2021, 11:17 PM)Guest Wrote:

curious, does doing elite sub-Is help with number of interviews? if anyone did it at barrow/ucsf/UWash , how many interviews do you have so far?

I think that stat will be conflated with those people likely also come from a T-15 institution.
(11-09-2021, 11:17 PM)Guest Wrote:

Only if you distinguish yourself which becomes increasingly unlikely with more and more rotators.

Yes, this. There should be a mechanism to prevent this. The issue is that applicants who will match at a midtier program do not rotate there, so programs don’t have a good idea on who is a good fit when all you have are electronic applications and Zoom interviews. This leads to mismatch in the ranking orders, ie applicants that could have distinguished themselves in person are sorted by stats only. Neurosurgery is 7 years, we need in person interviews, it’s worth the risk.
Why to three top places take like 50 kids how does it help them? How can you possibly get to know everyone how it is any help? Or maybe some kids just stick out?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)