Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No home program/dept?
Hi all,

Im an MD1 at a bottom of the barrell US MD school interested in neurosurgery. Problem is I do not really have a home program/dept. The nearest academic medical center is 100 miles away. Any tips from others that did not have easy access to mentors on how to get involved in things that will make me competitive? I have multiple poster presentations, a publication, a patent, etc in the neurosciences (not neurosurgery) from undergrad/grad school and might be able to shadow a neurosurgeon at a local hospital but research may be incredibly hard to come by. My school has sent maybe 4 people into neurosurgery residency in the past 15 years so asking others/alumni for help is also not working out well.... I do not have goals to match at Barrow or UCSF or anything and would be very happy one day matching at northeast program like Penn State (preferreded/favorite program & location), Geisinger, Temple, Jefferson, Maryland, etc.
(11-17-2021, 05:38 PM)Young and dumb Wrote: Hi all,

Im an MD1 at a bottom of the barrell US MD school interested in neurosurgery. Problem is I do not really have a home program/dept. The nearest academic medical center is 100 miles away. Any tips from others that did not have easy access to mentors on how to get involved in things that will make me competitive? I have multiple poster presentations, a publication, a patent, etc in the neurosciences (not neurosurgery) from undergrad/grad school and might be able to shadow a neurosurgeon at a local hospital but research may be incredibly hard to come by. My school has sent maybe 4 people into neurosurgery residency in the past 15 years so asking others/alumni for help is also not working out well.... I do not have goals to match at Barrow or UCSF or anything and would be very happy one day matching at northeast program like Penn State (preferreded/favorite program & location), Geisinger, Temple, Jefferson, Maryland, etc.

Dona research year away at a T20. I have seen previous applicants successful after this. Gets research and letters from well known faculty.
same situation i feel so depressesd
(11-17-2021, 07:46 PM)Guest Wrote: same situation i feel so depressesd

I chose this institution because they offered a full ride and I actually regret it now. They portrayed their research connections in a way that does not reflect the reality students face.
If you really choose to go all in on this then just know that a lot of places screen you out immediately if it’s a school they’ve never heard of and it’s going to get worse with P/F step and you really should dual apply. I’m seeing way too many good people get messed up in this process….was in a pre-interview social where an IMG somehow snuck in and was begging for an invite it was sad
(11-17-2021, 08:11 PM)Young and dumb Wrote:

I chose this institution because they offered a full ride and I actually regret it now. They portrayed their research connections in a way that does not reflect the reality students face.

somewhat similar situation my parents forced me to attned and i was so stupid to follow them, they don't care. i regret it so much. i feel so depressed.
(11-17-2021, 10:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

somewhat similar situation my parents forced me to attned and i was so stupid to follow them, they don't care. i regret it so much. i feel so depressed.

Dude FFS get a therapist and stay off the internet for a while. A very long while
(11-17-2021, 10:59 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-17-2021, 10:42 PM)Guest Wrote:

Dude FFS get a therapist and stay off the internet for a while. A very long while

why are u so mean to me? I was too afraid to speak up to my parents and i listened to them and now i am paying such as heavy price. no therapist can help with this. i will likely never be a neurosurgeon.
This is a major reason why changing step 1 to pass/fail is a bad thing. It was a way for this type of applicant to distinguish themselves. Much harder now.

That being said, many programs (including mine) do recognize if students don’t have a home program, and adjust our expectations accordingly.
If it means anything, I went through applications this year and specifically look for these situations- people from schools with no home programs, or programs with limited opportunities. If you're able to pull off a poster or 3rd auth pub I find that significantly more impressive than someone who convinces their cousin from a top program to throw them on every paper they've written for 3 years.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)