Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gap year
Hey guys,

MS3 here. I’m planning on taking a gap year to do some research but I don’t have a home program. Are there research programs in place at high powered academic centers I can apply into? Any advice on how to get started?
i am in same position. no home program. don't know what 2 do
How do y’all even get interested in neurosurgery without a home program??? You just going off TV shows or something??? You are at a huge disadvantage and this is a miserable field that no one should be going into if they could be happy doing anything else.
I know back in the day Columbia used to take a lot of students from other programs to do research time with. The bottom line is I would find a high volume Lab at a well-known program. Bonus points if it happens to be somewhere with a low cost of living since you probably are going to have trouble getting funding unless you are looking to take a few years as a research coordinator or something. Unfortunately the old days of tons of national research grants like the Doris Duke have faded. I believe the nih still has a program but it would be very hard if you aren't from an institution with a strong track record.
thank you Focus for that info.

To the ignorant poster who discourages, I was always interested in ns, but came to this fourms and grew more and more interested in the field. i like the personalities here. no other field has a similar fourm. interested in the diseases, the research. i'm ms1 without home so im emailing many ns and trying to get into a lab.

so far, no good progress but i remain interested and i am continuning to reach out to ns to get and get research opportunity.
(11-25-2021, 05:47 PM)Guest Wrote: thank you Focus for that info.

To the ignorant poster who discourages, I was always interested in ns, but came to this fourms and grew more and more interested in the field. i like the personalities here. no other field has a similar fourm. interested in the diseases, the research. i'm ms1 without home so im emailing many ns and trying to get into a lab.

so far, no good progress but i remain interested and i am continuning to reach out to ns to get and get research opportunity.

If this forum is what drew you into neurosurgery I don’t know what to say
(11-25-2021, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

what do you mean? yes it did honestly. i enjoy reading this place. before this fourm, i was only mildly interested. but now i am 100% interested. 

The problem with this place however is the censorship.

obvious troll
(11-25-2021, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote:

obvious troll

110% agree
(11-25-2021, 07:11 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-25-2021, 06:07 PM)Guest Wrote:

what do you mean? yes it did honestly. i enjoy reading this place. before this fourm, i was only mildly interested. but now i am 100% interested. 

The problem with this place however is the censorship.

You should be glad of the censorship it also keeps you from being doxxed.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)