Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Applying with avg stats?
Hey everyone. I've been heavily considering dual applying neurosurgery/IM or Rads, but am wondering if this is a good idea.

Goal is to maximize for geographic preference if possible (certain east coast region). Unfortunately am worried that I'm not a great applicant so wanted to see how things would play out on my end. I don't want to go unmatched obviously, but I also don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere for 7 years. I come from a top 30 school.

Step 1: 235
Honored surgery/psych
40 papers on CV (neurosurgery related)
3 surgery device patents
Worked for a few surgical device companies (think spinal cord regeneration) during med school. Personally secured over $2M in NIH grant funding for said companies.
You'll honestly be fine. There's a ton of navel gazing around here about with these "chances" posts, but at the end of the day with that CV you will get interviews if you apply broadly and you will match if you can interview well.

The bigger question is if this is something that you actually want to do. Over the next 7 years you will get limited time to pursue these kinds of projects and the field will move immensely in your absence. Being a neurosurgeon does confer a certain amount of power in these situations but it comes at a cost.

The reality is that a decent number of the top programs might screen you for a 235. Without a PhD, that score takes you out of the running at some places (UCSF, MGH, etc). The most obvious place for you to do a sub-I at is Stanford if you have a good personality fit with them.

Unless you're listed as Co-PI or Co-I with the NIH on the grant, don't tell people that you secured the funding.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)