Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IMG friendly programs?
What are programs that are used to having or taking in IMGs? Or ones that have a high number of IMGs do research fellowships and eventually match somewhere?
Think there is a recent world neurosurgery article on this, but Hopkins and Mayo both have several IMGs at present. Three each I believe
I looked up the WNS article, unfortunately it doesn't really list by program, just mentioned the states that had the highest proportion of IMGs (Kentucky and Texas surprisingly). But was wondering if there are any other programs like Hopkins and Mayo that have a bit of a pipeline system set in place where IMGs come for mentorship/research then match.
Barrow is continuously taking some for research and then successfully matching them at other programs. Mayo and Hopkins definitely come to mind in terms of internally matching some and taking many for research. The ones they take, however, are truly exceptional and well-liked by residents and faculty.
UW, Pitt and Miami also come to mind as very strong programs that have a couple of IMGs in their ranks
Why does Barrow take them for research and not match them at their own program?
And what happens to the IMGs that spend time at Mayo and Hopkins but don't ultimately match after however many years?

Northwestern and Duke each have 1 IMG.
A few years ago Baylor had 2, think they both graduated by now.
(12-12-2021, 11:33 PM)Guest Wrote: Why does Barrow take them for research and not match them at their own program?
And what happens to the IMGs that spend time at Mayo and Hopkins but don't ultimately match after however many years?

Because the IMG's don't have that barrow X factor (i.e. former NCAA athlete)

& what do you mean what happens lol.. they don't match and that sucks but life moves on
(12-12-2021, 11:33 PM)Guest Wrote: Why does Barrow take them for research and not match them at their own program?

Northwestern and Duke each have 1 IMG.
A few years ago Baylor had 2, think they both graduated by now.
Mayo is well known for having a research factory run by free-labor IMG MDs. Most of them don't match and end up going down an endless rabbit hole of gen surg prelim years vs neurology
Yikes that sounds horrible, who's propagating this at Mayo?
(12-14-2021, 10:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Yikes that sounds horrible, who's propagating this at Mayo?

Why is Mayo doing this? I know of several top PIs are Mayo who use this slave labor to churn out pointless paper after pointless paper. What is the point of this? The research output is totally worthless. At least if it was useful lab work I can understand, but it is basically garbage "bioinformatics"

Why is this happening?
haters gonna hate

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)