Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Float/Decent Call Programs
Have been trying to track this but curious if anyone has a list/insight - what programs do a night float system, or have lighter call burdens? Not the most important thing, but does matter and sometimes hard to figure out from interviews.
Your best bet for lighter call burden is to go to a larger program (~3/year). Some 1/year program PGY4/5s still take primary call...

Also consider the degree of redundancy during rounding/call and amount of mid-level/ancillary support. For example, Hopkins residents ran the list 2-3 times daily. Pitt residents have minimal inpatient mid-level support. MGH/Barrow have an in-house mid-level resident in addition to the junior + chief (this has both +/- though).

It's the content of your call that matters more than the amount i.e. doing procedures & seeing interesting consults rather than preparing discharge medications and scheduling outpatient follow up.
Definitely worth taking into account the number of call pools and number of residents. A one a year program with one hospital will result in residents taking an entire year of call minimum over the course of their time. A four a year program with two hospitals takes half a year of call potentially, etc. A four a year program with four call pools may take as much total as a one a year program, but some of that time may be of variable intensity (i.e. one hospital is very low-acuity, so home call no pages, etc).
Having worked as a resident under both systems, I would prefer q2-3 24h call to night float. Night float is the devil.
(12-18-2021, 04:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Having worked as a resident under both systems, I would prefer q2-3 24h call to night float. Night float is the devil.

Why is that? Due to more operative experience or are you saying Q2/3 is less taxing?
It is part personal preference and part what you are used to. I also trained in both and much preferred night float both as a junior and as chief. IMO the problem with 24h call is you either have to stay for good cases post-call in a state where you aren't at your greatest learning potential or give them up. Now, if you go to a low intensity program where you are assigned a room while being on call, that would be different, but the culture when I trained was the call person stayed out of the OR except emergencies.
(12-19-2021, 03:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-18-2021, 04:02 PM)Guest Wrote: Having worked as a resident under both systems, I would prefer q2-3 24h call to night float. Night float is the devil.

Why is that? Due to more operative experience or are you saying Q2/3 is less taxing?

24h call is less taxing for sure - the caveat is that I trained at a place that is largely in compliance with the duty hour rules, meaning I'd come in at 5am and leave by 9am the next day.

The biggest advantages are no handoffs - that's at least 1 wasted hour per day in my opinion, and learning to manage patients over a more clinically meaningful timescale - i.e. this patient is at high risk of deterioration in the next 10-12 hours after admission so I need to have a good management plan not just run out the clock til shift change.
Night float is far superior
We go through both types of call at my program depending on the hospital you're at, each has its benefits, personally i prefer the night float system.

PM handoff can be a waste of time during night float, but usually only for the intern/chief that have to do the handoff. I like that night float is less sporadic, you have a set period of time where you know you can't do anything social, you just grit your teeth and get through it.

I find post call days to be a far bigger waste of time. When your post call days are protected not only are you wasting OR time being on call, but that's every 2-4 days you're at home catching up on sleep. I think there was a poster at CNS this past year which showed night float systems have significantly more OR time. And if your post call days aren't protected then you're just a zombie going through the motions, which is even worse.
The opposite was actually published regarding operative time: More in a 24h call system

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34866033/

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)