Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow: My Investigation
So as you all know, this forum is obsessed with Barrow. Barrow this, Barrow that, How does this program compare to Barrow, etc. Literally every thread mentions Barrow. 

So I decided to look into the matter myself. I looked up Barrow grads, to see what they are doing. I looked up research at Borrow, so see just what is going on. And I read up on Barrow online, to get a clearer view. 

What I saw disturbed me greatly, and I wish to share my results here. 

1. Virtually all Barrow grads go into PP. nothing wrong with PP, but if you want to advance the field you have to do academic and Barrow is very, very poor in that. If you want to do research, you can't go to Barrow. 
  2. Many Barrow grads go into shady pain practices. Those places that do surgery for pain. Problem is, research has shown that in the vast majority of cases, surgery doesn't help. A lot of Barrow grads are doing this medically unnecessary spine surgery for money and are cheating patients. Very disturbing.
  3. Mid-levels do initial consultation and follow-up. As a result, residents are very weak in this areas. Barrow is arranged as a mill that tries to see as many patients as possible and it also engages in some questionable medical practices for money, being strongly fee-for-service. 
  4. Residents don't spend the extra free time in the lab or cadaver lab. Rather, they place softball and post here a lot. Why aren't they doing research or doing productive things
  5. The research at Barrow is very, very, weak. The major neurosurgical publications are dominated by Harvard, Mayo and other "elite/Iyv" programs. But to my horror, I could nary find a Barrow pub in a top journal. 
  6. Patient care is questionable, as residents operate unsupervised. 

I hope that I am wrong and I hope that I missed something. However, from my own investigation, this is what I have concluded. My findings left me very disturbed and in horror. 

https://kjzz.org/content/1680753/dignity-health-neurosurgical-associates-pay-10-million-billing-fraud-settlement

https://casetext.com/case/thompson-v-dignity-health-1

Why are they destroying the life of Dr. Thompson and why are they suing him?

I hope that the Barrow posters here might be able to assuage my concerns about this program and offer a rebuttal. I fear that

might not be possible.
The first point is already completely false. Last 2 years 7 academic placements, one PP. It only gets worse. This whole post is either satire or complete BS by someone who got burned. While admins are very open with what gets posted, this goes beyond an opinion and throws around clear lies and legal smearing attacks. Please handle accordingly
This is very important and well detailed research. I expect a strong outcry from our Barrow “colleagues” to ensue on this forum, but it’s true, they have a lot to account for. I call on Dr Ponce to public ally address these findings.

(01-03-2022, 02:24 AM)Guest Wrote: The first point is already completely false. Last 2 years 7 academic placements, one PP. It only gets worse. This whole post is either satire or complete BS by someone who got burned. While admins are very open with what gets posted, this goes beyond an opinion and throws around clear lies and legal smearing attacks. Please handle accordingly

Yes, Lawton has tried to change the PP default from Barrow with some initial success, but you cannot ignore decades of graduates on the basis of two to three years
This is hilarious, well done high-schooler. Or middle-schooler? Juvenile at best or you’re actually stupid
BNI grads over the past 6 years
Academics: 75%
Private Practice: 25%

2016:
Cerebrovascular (Allegheny)
Deformity (BNI)
Skull Base (BNI)
Cerebrovascular (UVA)

2017:
Cerebrovascular (Temple)
Private practice (Phoenix)
Deformity (Brigham)
Functional (BNI)

2018:
Functional/General (BNI)
Skull Base/Endonasal (Ohio State)
Private practice (Oregon)
Private practice (Nashville)

2019:
Deformity (Mayfield Clinic)
Deformity (Baylor)
Private practice (Miami)
Private practice (LA)

2020:
Deformity (Carolinas)
Skull Base (Brigham)
Functional (Cincinnati)
Private practice (Texas)

2021:
Deformity (UAB)
Deformity (Cedars-Sinai)
Epilepsy (Allegheny)
Skull base/CV (Maryland)

Research output

Sarkiss et al. Academic Productivity of US Neurosurgery Residents as Measured by H-Index: Program Ranking with Correlation to Faculty Productivity
Neurosurgery 2017

https://academic.oup.com/neurosurgery/ar...login=true

Just check the chart, BNI right at the top with UCSF, for both resident and faculty productivity
(01-03-2022, 09:53 AM)Guest Wrote: BNI grads over the past 6 years

2016:
Deformity (BNI)
Skull Base (BNI)
Cerebrovascular (UVA)

2017:
Cerebrovascular (Temple)
Deformity (Brigham)
Functional (BNI)

2018:
Functional/General (BNI)

2019:
Deformity (Baylor)
Private practice (Miami)
Private practice (LA)

2020:
Deformity (Carolinas)
Skull Base (Brigham)
Functional (Cincinnati)
Private practice (Texas)

2021:
Deformity (UAB)
Deformity (Cedars-Sinai)
Epilepsy (Allegheny)
Skull base/CV (Maryland)

Research output

Sarkiss et al. Academic Productivity of US Neurosurgery Residents as Measured by H-Index: Program Ranking with Correlation to Faculty Productivity
Neurosurgery 2017

Just check the chart, BNI right at the top with UCSF, for both resident and faculty productivity

How about long term? 2016 UVA cerebrovascular is definitely PP now
(01-03-2022, 02:26 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 09:53 AM)Guest Wrote: BNI grads over the past 6 years

2016:
Deformity (BNI)
Skull Base (BNI)
Cerebrovascular (UVA)

2017:
Cerebrovascular (Temple)
Deformity (Brigham)
Functional (BNI)

2018:
Functional/General (BNI)

2019:
Deformity (Baylor)
Private practice (Miami)
Private practice (LA)

2020:
Deformity (Carolinas)
Skull Base (Brigham)
Functional (Cincinnati)
Private practice (Texas)

2021:
Deformity (UAB)
Deformity (Cedars-Sinai)
Epilepsy (Allegheny)
Skull base/CV (Maryland)

Research output

Neurosurgery 2017

How about long term? 2016 UVA cerebrovascular is definitely PP now

I congratulate BNI on its graduates, however this list is not as good as my top 15 institution. Also, not sure I would call Carolinas academic. Excellent point too, very few can cut it in academics and then go to private practice.
People should keep in mind that the border between PP and academics is blurring as many hospitals gobble up outlying practices.
Bruhhhh, this investigation is misleading.
On the other hand, is BNI IMG-friendly?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
It looks like more of an undergrad student investigation than a med student!
"Many Barrow grads go into shady pain practices. Those places that do surgery for pain. Problem is, research has shown that in the vast majority of cases, surgery doesn't help. A lot of Barrow grads are doing this medically unnecessary spine surgery for money and are cheating patients. Very disturbing."
I wonder if the investigator knows the evidence behind most of spine surgeries especially fusions and deformity cases

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)