Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Traditional Student Interested In NSG
I am a 32 y/o M1. Is it too late for me to pursue Neurosurgery? 
Considering I would be 43 coming out of residency and the average Neurosurgeon retires at 60. 
Do neurosurgeons reduce their caseload as they get older or switch to shorter procedures?  
Will residency programs seriously consider me if I have the rest of my application on par with younger applicants? 
Thanks!

Mods could move this to the general interest forum, since I have posted in the incorrect place.
It's been done before but it is not easy.
Not easy as in convincing PDs or not easy as in personal sarcifices ? I just assumed all neurosurgery training wasn't easy. I was more concerned about the ability to practice afterwards. It would be dumb to start down the path if people after 45 stop clipping anuerysms or doing anything more intense then a fusion.

(06-05-2017, 10:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 09:21 PM)Guest Wrote: I am a 32 y/o M1. Is it too late for me to pursue Neurosurgery? 
Considering I would be 43 coming out of residency and the average Neurosurgeon retires at 60. 
Do neurosurgeons reduce their caseload as they get older or switch to shorter procedures?  
Will residency programs seriously consider me if I have the rest of my application on par with younger applicants? 
Thanks!

Mods could move this to the general interest forum, since I have posted in the incorrect place.

I was in your shoes. Nobody can answer this question but you. Don't listen to anyone. If this is what you want to do, then do it.

I am assuming you are in training or have completed it ?

Not that there is anything wrong with spinal fusion. I am just more interested in tumor resections , functional and endovascular,nil stuff.
(06-05-2017, 10:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 10:18 PM)Guest Wrote: Not easy as in convincing PDs or not easy as in personal sarcifices ? I just assumed all neurosurgery training wasn't easy. I was more concerned about the ability to practice afterwards. It would be dumb to start down the path if people after 45 stop clipping anuerysms or doing anything more intense then a fusion.

(06-05-2017, 10:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-05-2017, 09:21 PM)Guest Wrote: I am a 32 y/o M1. Is it too late for me to pursue Neurosurgery? 
Thanks!

I was in your shoes. Nobody can answer this question but you. Don't listen to anyone. If this is what you want to do, then do it.

I am assuming you are in training or have completed it ?

Not that there is anything wrong with spinal fusion. I am just more interested in tumor resections , functional and endovascular,nil stuff.

Completed and academic. Stop asking for validation of your goals and achieve them.

Thank you.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)