Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best overall program based on volume, location, faculty, etc.
As the title says, which program "has it all." This includes:

1) excellent operative volume/case variety
2) phenomenal location (not San Fran expensive, not Mayo roch cold.. etc)
3) solid amount of academic output/opportunities
4) great supportive faculty/stable leadership/big names in the field
Why ask this?
BWH, UW, UCLA
(01-21-2022, 01:12 PM)Guest Wrote: BWH, UW, UCLA

Would have picked none of these 3
UW, Barrow, USC, Emory, UTSW.
BWH - this program is in the shadow of others in a competitive market. Boston is great depending on who you ask. Volume/autonomy questionable. Academics is upper tier of course.

UW - honestly I think this place fits the bill nicely, great operative experience and known for putting out high quality attendings, Seattle seems like solid city to live that's not prohibitively expensive, excellent science, and strong faculty

UCLA - another great choice, LA imo is however expensive and pretty overrated, traffic is not ideal (not sure if residents cross cover different sites when on call), solid science opportunities (can potentially obtain PhD in residency) and okay operative experience. Would personally take UW which I think beats UCLA in all metrics unless you're a sunny cali/beach kind of person.

USC - in shittier part of LA, difficulty to get meaningful academic work done here as residents are overworked and bogged down by scut (heavy county component), not sure I'd include in this list for those reasons. Otherwise operatively excellent/fantastic autonomy more-so than UCLA, good faculty doing strong work

Barrow - not many bad things to say about here for obvious reasons, but wouldn't consider Phoenix an ideal location, seems like tolerable place but overall pretty lame/no reason to be here except for family/training. Of course nitpicking here, Barrow is great.

Emory - solid operative experience but lacking in spine, academic output is solid, faculty are solid, and Atlanta is a solid place to live being more coastal. Well rounded program overall putting out well trained neurosurgeons.

UTSW - under new leadership, good tumor experience and hear Parkland has good autonomy but otherwise more hands-on compared to other programs at certain sites, interested to see where this place goes. overall solid opportunities and in Dallas which is affordable

^can't go wrong with any of these places. Everything I stated here is based on my own opinions/perceptions, and you as an adult should make your own judgements and draw your own conclusions. Graduates from all these places do very well.
This post will go against this whole website but...

The whole point is that you think about what you want, ask your mentors what they think, and make judgements for yourself. Look at programs, where their graduates end up, and see if it aligns with yours. See if the location of the program is right for you. There is no "best program" for everyone. There are a couple dozen amazing programs, a handful of questionable ones, and the rest are great depending on what you want.
I think Seattle has gotten pretty pricy. WashU, Pitt, Vandy, and UWash in my opinion are the programs with the most versatility. WashU and Vandy get less hate on this forum for whatever reason. Maybe Baylor and UTSW fall in the versatile category too but I just don't know much about them. Like all programs, they have pros and cons. No program has it all. Further, if a program had it all they would immediately begin to lose it.
(01-21-2022, 03:35 PM)Guest Wrote: This post will go against this whole website but...

The whole point is that you think about what you want, ask your mentors what they think, and make judgements for yourself. Look at programs, where their graduates end up, and see if it aligns with yours. See if the location of the program is right for you. There is no "best program" for everyone. There are a couple dozen amazing programs, a handful of questionable ones, and the rest are great depending on what you want.

problem is if u go to the low-tier (shite) programs, you can often face sabotage. Even on these forums, many people report experiencing or promulgating such sabotage to ruin someone's life. So even through they might have good surgeons, low-tier programs are filled with malignant people who sabotage.
UPenn, UCLA, Barrow, maybe UW, maybe Miami

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)