Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lack of support from home program
I am a med student applying this upcoming cycle feeling a little discouraged by lack of support from my home program. I just don’t have faith the faculty I have worked with will make calls / advocate for me when the time comes despite doing what I believe are the right things (getting a good step, publishing 30 papers with various home faculty, doing a research year etc). Are there others out there that feel that way? Any tips for success in the match when you cannot necessarily rely on your home program?
Make sure to do the maximum number of away rotations as possible and excel on them.
You say you published 30 papers with these guys. Why do you think they won’t advocate for you? Are there specific examples of interactions, comments, attitudes that support this fear?
Publishing 30 papers with you is a lot of support. You'll be fine with that CV.

Med students around here vastly overestimate how often PDs are making calls to one another.
^op here my fear began after speaking with upperclassmen in my program with similar credentials (good steps, all >10pubs) who felt the faculty or residents they worked with did not really advocate much or make calls during match 2020. idk if just sour grapes or as above poster mentioned calls are rare
This is a high anxiety time of year for med students, but a call won’t make or break you. Some programs don’t make calls. My med school almost never called, they made that abundantly clear. It hasn’t stopped ppl in the past. Control the controllables
My PD told me that calls from other faculty rarely change the rank list, for what it's worth. They wrote you a recommendation letter for a reason...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)