Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DO in ACGME neurosurgery
How feasible is it to match into an ACGME neurosurgery spot as a DO with 250+ step 1 and all honors in both preclinical and clinical years (top 10% class rank)?
Research?
(06-19-2017, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Research?

1 publication, working on one more project currently, neither one is in neurosurgery but will be trying to pick up more projects within the next year and hopefully get something in the field.
I'm a DO. I applied 5 years ago with Step 1 and Step 2 scores >260 and 6 publications. I only got 5 interview invites and failed to match. Unfortunately there is a heavy bias against DOs, but thats' life. It still doesn't make sense to me how a guy from a brand new affirmative action MD School gets into MGH with <210 on his boards. Thats life I suppose
(06-21-2017, 09:30 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm a DO. I applied 5 years ago with Step 1 and Step 2 scores >260 and 6 publications. I only got 5 interview invites and failed to match. Unfortunately there is a heavy bias against DOs, but thats' life. It still doesn't make sense to me how a guy from a brand new affirmative action MD School gets into MGH with <210 on his boards. Thats life I suppose

U mad bro?
MD> DO buddy
I matched into integrated plastics the following year and I'm happy. I don't disagree. MD is >DO. I'm just saying that the OP should be aware of the heavy bias against DOs. I could care less about the football pro who matched into MGH, but I think it's ridiculous that he's claiming he's already a neurosurgeon despite not starting residency. Look at his Instagram and interviews online. Everyone knows that there are plenty of applicants who applied this past year that deserved that spot more than him.
(06-22-2017, 12:54 AM)Guest Wrote: I matched into integrated plastics the following year and I'm happy. I don't disagree. MD is >DO. I'm just saying that the OP should be aware of the heavy bias against DOs. I could care less about the football pro who matched into MGH, but I think it's ridiculous that he's claiming he's already a neurosurgeon despite not starting residency. Look at his Instagram and interviews online. Everyone knows that there are plenty of applicants who applied this past year that deserved that spot more than him.

Congrats on matching and making it! I don't think the bias is fair, especially given your stats. That said,  I don't understand everyone bashing this one person...he is a unique applicant with a great story. Gen did win the Rhodes so the guy is academically-accomplished. And when people get opportunities like he has, people generally tend to step up the their game and perform well so I think he will thrive at MGH. The MGH brand also sets him up to be the next Sanjay Gupta/James Andrews.

Also - I haven't seen interviews but I quickly just looked at his instagram...his profile clearly says "Neurosurgery Resident" at the top and the newest picture says "Neurosurgery PGY1s".

(06-22-2017, 08:02 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-22-2017, 12:54 AM)Guest Wrote: I matched into integrated plastics the following year and I'm happy. I don't disagree. MD is >DO. I'm just saying that the OP should be aware of the heavy bias against DOs. I could care less about the football pro who matched into MGH, but I think it's ridiculous that he's claiming he's already a neurosurgeon despite not starting residency. Look at his Instagram and interviews online. Everyone knows that there are plenty of applicants who applied this past year that deserved that spot more than him.

Congrats on matching and making it! I don't think the bias is fair, especially given your stats. That said,  I don't understand everyone bashing this one person...he is a unique applicant with a great story. Gen did win the Rhodes so the guy is academically-accomplished. And when people get opportunities like he has, people generally tend to step up the their game and perform well so I think he will thrive at MGH. The MGH brand also sets him up to be the next Sanjay Gupta/James Andrews.

Also - I haven't seen interviews but I quickly just looked at his instagram...his profile clearly says "Neurosurgery Resident" at the top and the newest picture says "Neurosurgery PGY1s".

He did win*

(06-22-2017, 08:02 AM)Guest Wrote:

He did win*

If you are in Plastics, why are you still reading a neurosurgery forum?
(06-22-2017, 09:00 AM)Guest Wrote:

If you are in Plastics, why are you still reading a neurosurgery forum?

Because He is not in Plastics and is the same tool, who keeps posting about how somebody took a spot that should have been "his". Pathetic!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)