Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't drink?
(06-25-2017, 07:35 AM)Guest Wrote: I'm totally chill. Love meeting new people etc. I just happen to not drink. Is this a big deal in terms of the night before dinner with residents? I don't wanna come across as a killjoy, lol. Am I being too neurotic?

Be prepared to answer why: religious reasons?  allergies? can't handle your liquor? DUI?
(06-26-2017, 05:56 AM)Guest Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:35 AM)Guest Wrote: I'm totally chill. Love meeting new people etc. I just happen to not drink. Is this a big deal in terms of the night before dinner with residents? I don't wanna come across as a killjoy, lol. Am I being too neurotic?

Be prepared to answer why: religious reasons?  allergies? can't handle your liquor? DUI?
If anyone is really so rude and annoying  to ask why, you're within your rights to say you don't feel like a drink tonight and leave it at that. I drink but didn't drink pre interview and no one cared or probably even noticed
Option 1: Say you were smashed the night before and couldn't bear to drink anymore today in fear of needing a liver transplant.

Option 2: Get seltzer and lime

Option 3: Bring a flask (of water) and just rip it in front of the residents
Do NOT pretend that you are drinking as it's easy to spot and makes you look like a fool. Just have your honest reason:

- I don't drink.
- I don't drink, because it gives me a migraine.
- I just took an Advil and cant mix.
- I don't drink because of religious (or other principal) reason.
- Want to be in good shape for the interviews tomorrow.

despite all of the boasting on these sites, remember that NSG has its own population of nerd, serious, shy, etc. You won't be alone. Be yourself. If they don't like that you don't drink, A. 99.9% it will not make any difference with you matching and B. maybe its better you know in advance and avoid that group.
Sad Sad Sad

I don't know if I'm even going to get an opportunity to have dinner with residents. I feel this whole process is driven by that fateful Spring/Summer day we all got up at 7am to go to the Prometric center and take that 320 question test that determined if we were suitable to enter neurosurgery. The test that determined if we would interview or not. The test that determined if we mattered to the academic world. I fear my score is not high enough to justify a dinner. My score may not be adequate to surmise a meal and chance to match amongst all the 250s and 260s and 270s applying.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)