Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
army reserve/air force reserve during residency
wondering if anyone has joined army reserve or air force reserve during neurosurg residency? Is it feasible? what would program directors think if you tell them that? 1 weekend a month commitment & 2 weeks annually. If someone is currently doing that, please share experiences.
I know their are some people at my med school at some army program. As i understand, it pays for your schooling and you have to do like some summer work and weekend stuff sometimes. not sure if this is what you are talking about, however.
The AF currently is very limited to no reserve billets. The ARMY and NAVY have options. You need to talk to your PD and your chair to make sure they will tolerate this. You have to realy want to do it
(02-25-2022, 01:32 AM)Guest Wrote: wondering if anyone has joined army reserve or air force reserve during neurosurg residency? Is it feasible? what would program directors think if you tell them that? 1 weekend a month commitment & 2 weeks annually. If someone is currently doing that, please share experiences.

They will probably be fine with it, but i doubt that you will be getting less call because of it. As a junior you usually get 1 weekend off per month. I would not expect to get 2 a month off because of the reserve duty. And that week / month will likely be one of your 4 yearly ACGME vacations. 

Is it possible to do? Yea for sure. Are programs going to make extra accommodations for that? I doubt it. And personally, if i was your co-resident I would be a little pissed if I had to shoulder more call because you want to get paid and play army man.
Your military service will be frowned upon.
It’s stupid to do during residency. Finish ur training, and do it after if ur still feeling patriotic. Don’t screw over ur fellow residents by asking for all sorts of accommodations so u can go play weekend warrior.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)