Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Choice of Med School Matter?
(03-04-2022, 07:52 PM)rollcake_surgery Wrote: Thanks all for the replies. Actually caught me by surprise to hear that I should think about where I’d be happy the most during med school. I’ve been mainly thinking about med school prestige & opportunities due to step1 going p/f and research being important for matching into top NS programs.

If all three are mostly similar (tho I guess most ppl seems to regard columbia and mayo higher than nyu) regarding their perceived prestige/research opportunities/match outcome, I guess I’ll really have to decide based on locations. I’ve never been to NYC or Rochester MN so not even sure where I’d like to live atm.

Btw, does the length of pre-clinical curriculum matter? NYU is starting 1 yr preclinical this year, Columbia is 1.5yr i think, and Mayo is 2 yr.

In the short term, the length of pre-clinical curriculum can be an annoyance or boon depending on your background.

In the long term, no difference.
(03-04-2022, 10:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 07:52 PM)rollcake_surgery Wrote: Thanks all for the replies. Actually caught me by surprise to hear that I should think about where I’d be happy the most during med school. I’ve been mainly thinking about med school prestige & opportunities due to step1 going p/f and research being important for matching into top NS programs.

If all three are mostly similar (tho I guess most ppl seems to regard columbia and mayo higher than nyu) regarding their perceived prestige/research opportunities/match outcome, I guess I’ll really have to decide based on locations. I’ve never been to NYC or Rochester MN so not even sure where I’d like to live atm.

Btw, does the length of pre-clinical curriculum matter? NYU is starting 1 yr preclinical this year, Columbia is 1.5yr i think, and Mayo is 2 yr.

In the short term, the length of pre-clinical curriculum can be an annoyance or boon depending on your background.

In the long term, no difference.

I see. Thx!
My two cents which I’ll add into this conversation is that Mayo has a strong research infrastructure setup for med students including several internal funding opportunities and scholarships for med students. For example there is a spine outcomes group that publishes >80 papers per year that very readily involves med students. I encourage you to message the dean of Mayo Med School who is a neurosurgeon himself and he is very willing to discuss these opportunities with you.
(03-05-2022, 08:30 AM)Guest Wrote: My two cents which I’ll add into this conversation is that Mayo has a strong research infrastructure setup for med students including several internal funding opportunities and scholarships for med students. For example there is a spine outcomes group that publishes >80 papers per year that very readily involves med students. I encourage you to message the dean of Mayo Med School who is a neurosurgeon himself and he is very willing to discuss these opportunities with you.

Thanks a lot for this info. That’s pretty cool, will definitely reach out to him
(03-05-2022, 11:21 PM)rollcake_surgery Wrote:
(03-05-2022, 08:30 AM)Guest Wrote: My two cents which I’ll add into this conversation is that Mayo has a strong research infrastructure setup for med students including several internal funding opportunities and scholarships for med students. For example there is a spine outcomes group that publishes >80 papers per year that very readily involves med students. I encourage you to message the dean of Mayo Med School who is a neurosurgeon himself and he is very willing to discuss these opportunities with you.

Thanks a lot for this info. That’s pretty cool, will definitely reach out to him

Don’t discount the free tuition at NYU

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)