Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice Step 1
Hello, I have read this forum for quite some time and would like the advice of the many helpful people who use this forum. I have been interested in neurosurgery for many years but have hit a rough patch. Did well in preclinicals but am struggling with Step 1 (had a family issue during dedicated). School won't allow me to delay so options are 210-225 Step 1 vs LOA. My goal is to match somewhere, don't care where.

Would you recommend getting a low Step 1 and then killing Step 2 (>250) and clinicals or should I take the LOA? Any other options? Thank you.
Depends on a lot of factors. Why do you think you'll score under 225? How much time do you have to make the decision? If you take the LOA for a family issue will it be something PD's can understand (death in the family understandable vs. fight with parents)? Do you reasonably expect that in the short LOA that you can pull up your score significantly?

Getting a 250 on Step 1 after taking a month off because of a tragedy > getting 230 after taking a month off for something they won't understand~=~ getting 225 and blaming it on a tragedy without taking time off.

Short answer is if you're gonna take the time, be prepared to explain it and be sure that you have the ability to significantly bring up your score. Expecting a boost of a standard deviation because of some extra study time is ambitious. Maybe consider turning the LOA into a research year?

Good luck
(06-27-2017, 08:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Depends on a lot of factors. Why do you think you'll score under 225? How much time do you have to make the decision? If you take the LOA for a family issue will it be something PD's can understand (death in the family understandable vs. fight with parents)? Do you reasonably expect that in the short LOA that you can pull up your score significantly?

Getting a 250 on Step 1 after taking a month off because of a tragedy > getting 230 after taking a month off for something they won't understand~=~ getting 225 and blaming it on a tragedy without taking time off.

Short answer is if you're gonna take the time, be prepared to explain it and be sure that you have the ability to significantly bring up your score. Expecting a boost of a standard deviation because of some extra study time is ambitious. Maybe consider turning the LOA into a research year?

Good luck

Thanks for your response. I don't think it's anything significant enough for PDs to understand. And the LOA would be for a full year, not just missing one rotation. Seems like my options are to either take it and then kill every other part of my app or take a LOA where I would need to do really well on Step 1 and somehow explain the LOA...
How old are you? Is taking year off something you are willing to do? Do you have any research in neurosurgery?

I took a year off to do research during which I also took Step 1. Could not have gotten my score without taking the year off (>250). Also got lots of pubs out of the year. Overall worth it for me.

If you took a year off to do research, you could spend the first part killing Step 1, and then the rest doing research if you want/need to.
Young. Yes, I would be willing to but don't have any major research opportunities lined up. Did you do research through a formal program or was it a LOA?
(06-27-2017, 09:50 PM)Guest Wrote: How old are you? Is taking year off something you are willing to do? Do you have any research in neurosurgery?

I took a year off to do research during which I also took Step 1. Could not have gotten my score without taking the year off (>250). Also got lots of pubs out of the year. Overall worth it for me.

If you took a year off to do research, you could spend the first part killing Step 1, and then the rest doing research if you want/need to.

How did you explain this on your interviews.  Did you just say you took a research year?
I did a formal research year. I hope to interview this season. I'll just explain it as a research year.
(06-29-2017, 08:43 PM)Guest Wrote: RrI did a formal research year. I hope to interview this season. I'll just explain it as a research year.

Formal as in through an organized fellowship/program?
(06-29-2017, 09:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 08:43 PM)Guest Wrote: RrI did a formal research year. I hope to interview this season. I'll just explain it as a research year.

Yes.
(06-29-2017, 09:46 PM)Guest Wrote: Vt
(06-29-2017, 09:20 PM)Guest Wrote:

Yes.

My issue is that if I took a research year, it wouldn't be through a formal program. Just kind of random joining a project.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)