Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgery after radiology?
Didn't match neurosurgery, had a spot open up in a radiology residency after a surgery prelim and took that route.

Would it be insane to re-apply for neurosurgery after ? Would anyone give a shot to someone who reapplied after completing a radiology residency? 

Or stick to the neurorad to NIR route? I've gotten some NIR experience during residency, much more than would be typical, so there may be decent odds of finding a spot and it would only be another 2-3 years vs 7.
NIR
Dude, enjoy radiology. Shut the door on neurosurgery and never look back.
would it be possible to apply during your radiology residency? interventional is not the same, it won't being OP happiness. OP will be living life knowing that he never achieved his dreams. He will always have that unhappy feeling that you see in people who don't achieve what they sent out to achieve.
Wouldn’t be insane but you’d have to calculate the opportunity cost you’re willing to stomach to be a neurosurgeon. Also most programs would rather match a M4 or someone who has training in neurosurgery from another country.

NIR you get to do gamut of “ endovascular neurosurgery” and have seen people make 700k+ albeit a trash lifestyle. Even diagnostic neurorads you can make 600k+ for 40 hr weeks. You’d be giving up 2-3 years of attending income to try to pursue neurosurgery.
Yes, it's possible. I know someone who completed a radiology residency, did neuro IR fellowship then applied for neurosurgery residency where he matched at the same institution of fellowship. He had to do full 7 years of neurosurgery residency. When I met him, he was still a junior resident and was happy with his decision then. But I don't know if his opinion has changed now as an attending.

If you are really into it and want to do cranial stuff and some spine, functional, epilepsy...etc then yeah go for it. I know some people who started their residency at age of +35 both US and foreign grads. However, if you want to endovascular or even open vascular, then doing 7 years of tough residency is probably not ideal. Remember, taking junior call at a level one trauma center is tough even for those in their 20s.

Other things to think about: Loans, how much money you could have made during those 7 years, your S.O./kids...etc
Radiology. PP radiology can make 800K+ with 12-16 weeks of vacation...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)