Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
didnt match
feeling like a piece of shit.....had over 20 interviews...didnt match....research year or prelim?
What were your stats generally speaking ie med school tier, score ranges, pubs, etc
If you got that many interviews then on paper you are good…something was just not good for you in interviews unfortunately
How well do PDs check apps before interviews? I have heard that many PDs interview based mostly on stats, and then look over recs after the interview? Could that be the case?
Prelim
Preresidency fellow
do a year of research in a less commonly pursued field like neurotrauma. maybe you can find funding for this? publish like maniac. be more humble than ever. then reapply and you will match
(03-19-2022, 08:12 PM)Guest Wrote: Preresidency fellow

horrible advice. most advice here is bad. what if he applies again and still doesn't match?
(03-20-2022, 12:34 AM)Guest Wrote:

horrible advice. most advice here is bad. what if he applies again and still doesn't match?

How about you offer your advice, or at least an explanation why previous posters give bad advice? Because right now you just sound like a toxic MS3 who wants one less applicant next year. 

He clearly wants to try again. Go for research, connect well, publish, stay humble and show introspection, reach out to faculty at the institutions you interviewed at and ask them for honest feedback. There’s a good neurosurgerypodcast episode with UVA‘s Dr. Shaffrey. If you had an interview there, I would strongly advice you to reach out as he expressed his will to help those who didn’t match. Give guidance and feedback etc. 

Remember, every year there are a few people that match after reapplying. I think it‘s a few because most of them cannot handle the blow and the implications that this has on so many aspects of your life, and simply don‘t apply neurosurgery again. You have to have your drive, and regain the confidence that you can do it. Best of luck my friend

(03-20-2022, 06:33 AM)Guest Wrote:

How about you offer your advice, or at least an explanation why previous posters give bad advice? Because right now you just sound like a toxic MS3 who wants one less applicant next year. 

He clearly wants to try again. Go for research, connect well, publish, stay humble and show introspection, reach out to faculty at the institutions you interviewed at and ask them for honest feedback. There’s a good neurosurgerypodcast episode with UVA‘s Dr. Shaffrey. If you had an interview there, I would strongly advice you to reach out as he expressed his will to help those who didn’t match. Give guidance and feedback etc. 

Remember, every year there are a few people that match after reapplying. I think it‘s a few because most of them cannot handle the blow and the implications that this has on so many aspects of your life, and simply don‘t apply neurosurgery again. You have to have your drive, and regain the confidence that you can do it. Best of luck my friend
He or she*

He or she*
Agree that a pre-residency fellowship at a place that has a good track record of matching fellows is definitely an option (e.g. Miami, Iowa, etc.). I listened to the Shaffrey podcast as well and definitely know of an situation where he helped an unmatched applicant with feedback, mock interviews, writing Chairs and PDs to help. I think that a research year would only help if you considered it a soft spot in your application and really want to go to a strong academic program. I think at this point that matching is more important...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)