Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pediatric Fellowships
Anyone have information on the pediatrics fellowships with the best training and marketability afterwards?
Older fellowships typically have the most connections/opportunity for the best job prospects. This may or may not also line up with good training. Most fellowships keep a list of their past graduates and are happy to supply it (or at least they're happy to when its good). In my opinion, an equally important factor is not taking primary call. Some people don't mind it and there are in fact a few pros to it in terms of time off/avoidance of crap cases that come in at night, but I think the more of an attending-style experience you have the better.
UAB, Utah, Toronto
(03-22-2022, 07:44 PM)Guest Wrote: UAB, Utah, Toronto

How much does fellowship prestige matter if you graduate from a prestigious residency program? Any harm in prioritizing location above all else?
(03-23-2022, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote:

How much does fellowship prestige matter if you graduate from a prestigious residency program? Any harm in prioritizing location above all else?

Depends. To patients a prestigious residency will be sufficient. If you have a job line up via your residency then by all means choose by whatever factors you wish. Residency prestige isn't going to help you find a job alone though. Connections will, but I wouldn't gamble on it if they haven't come through for you before the fellowship match. In my opinion it would be ideal to have a job lined up at wherever you go for fellowship. That way you can start career building more readily.
(03-23-2022, 04:05 PM)Focus Wrote:

Depends. To patients a prestigious residency will be sufficient. If you have a job line up via your residency then by all means choose by whatever factors you wish. Residency prestige isn't going to help you find a job alone though. Connections will, but I wouldn't gamble on it if they haven't come through for you before the fellowship match. In my opinion it would be ideal to have a job lined up at wherever you go for fellowship. That way you can start career building more readily.

Is this the most common route to get a job? I had heard previously that you would want to do fellowship somewhere different from your first job so you can bring something new to the table? Or does it work out that people would really just rather work with people trained by them
(03-23-2022, 05:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 04:05 PM)Focus Wrote:

Is this the most common route to get a job? I had heard previously that you would want to do fellowship somewhere different from your first job so you can bring something new to the table? Or does it work out that people would really just rather work with people trained by them

Pros and cons, but it seems to me a lot of programs have been hiring their own fellows as of late. Whether or not these were pre fellowship arrangements I don't know.
I’m not sure that anyone other than a busy pediatric attending connected with organized neurosurgery could accurately answer this question for u. There are not many pediatric jobs advertised on neurosurgery job sites, and although I do actually know of a few non-academic institutions looking for someone to take peds call, it’s often because the other guys already there don’t want to do it, so I’m not sure that it would be the most rewarding position for a starry-eyed new pediatric fellowship graduate.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)