Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much more research should I shoot for?
Hi, I’m an M2 and am wondering how much more research productivity I should aim for during M3. My current Neurosurgery-specific research tally is 1 pub (3rd author, though), 3 abstracts, 2 posters, and a book chapter. I also have 2 abstracts and a poster from previous oncology research.

The data set from my only pub can/will realistically be able to squeeze out 1 or 2 more decent papers from it, but beyond that, how much more do you think I need to have a chance to match (assuming I have competitive clinical grades and Step 2)? I’m not shooting for a top-tier program by any means—I actually just want to match at any program in Texas.

Other possibly relevant details:
-Student at mid-tier school with a home program (but not in TX)
-Unscored Step 1 (taken after Pass/fail)
-Female applicant

Thanks!
(04-07-2022, 08:22 PM)Guest Wrote: Hi, I’m an M2 and am wondering how much more research productivity I should aim for during M3. My current Neurosurgery-specific research tally is 1 pub (3rd author, though), 3 abstracts, 2 posters, and a book chapter. I also have 2 abstracts and a poster from previous oncology research.

The data set from my only pub can/will realistically be able to squeeze out 1 or 2 more decent papers from it, but beyond that, how much more do you think I need to have a chance to match (assuming I have competitive clinical grades and Step 2)? I’m not shooting for a top-tier program by any means—I actually just want to match at any program in Texas.

Other possibly relevant details:
-Student at mid-tier school with a home program (but not in TX)
-Unscored Step 1 (taken after Pass/fail)
-Female applicant

Thanks!

You might be interested in a couple recent publications on this topic (regarding how much research does one need?)

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31675693/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32014543/

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)