Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Difficulty of residency
Hi,

I have always been interested in neurosurgery since high school. Currently MS3 who has been exploring other fields because I was simply scared of putting myself into neurosurgery and spending 7 difficult years according to many classmates/residents/attendings. But now, I feel that my hearts lies in neurosurgery and not any other surgical specialties. I hate IM and love to do surgery, but neurosurgery happens to fascinate me the most out of all.... is the 7 year residency that miserable? are they all on antidepressants? Personally, I want to have time to date, find my loved one and marry eventually. 

Would love to hear all ur feedback!
It is miserable for much of it but not all the time. We’re not all on antidepressants. A handful of residents in my program have found a love one and married.
In the OR > nothing better

But hours suck regardless of what program you go to. Personally entered residency single with hope of finding someone. Haven’t had much luck because it’s hard to find someone who is willing to play second fiddle to the job you’ll be working 100hr/wk for less than minimum wage. And you feel like a POS for neglecting anyone that you are lucky enough to have in your life. Definitely not impossible to have the relationship, but you’re asking a lot, especially as an intern.
if you go to MAYO, YALE, MGH or BMI you will be at home 5pm on most days, 7pm on late days with the occasional 10pm emergency. Mornings start at 7am, prompt.
(04-14-2022, 10:07 PM)Guest Wrote: if you go to MAYO, YALE, MGH or BMI you will be at home 5pm on most days, 7pm on late days with the occasional 10pm emergency. Mornings start at 7am, prompt.

Wait what?  Is this true? How is that possible?
Lol not true, and that 7am start time is really 5am because of rounds…
(04-14-2022, 10:46 PM)As a Guest Wrote: Lol not true, and that 7am start time is really 5am because of rounds…

As a junior at one of these programs, I assure you I work over a 100 hours a week, nearly without miss. No matter where you go, you will work. You just have to be happy with where you are, the work you are taking on, and who you are tackling it with
(04-14-2022, 10:55 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 10:46 PM)As a Guest Wrote: Lol not true, and that 7am start time is really 5am because of rounds…

As a junior at one of these programs, I assure you I work over a 100 hours a week, nearly without miss. No matter where you go, you will work. You just have to be happy with where you are, the work you are taking on, and who you are tackling it with

i don't they those places would consistently violate 80hr
What are some programs with somewhat better call schedules including having NPs or PAs taking care of floor work and other scut work? Are NYC and Boston programs on a better side since there are so many hospitals within the city?
Honestly will I be able to sleep during residency? Is it really that inhumane? Im scared. Now that im in med school and brain surgery is the only thing I love in medicine.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)