Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best trauma neurosurgery programs
Which programs are best for trauma neurosurgery training? It’s a less discussed subspecialty.
Trauma isn’t a real subspecialty. It’s not something u need extra training in. All it consists of are hemicraniectomies (one of the most basic procedures in neurosurgery) and ICP management. If u need additional training in trauma after completing a neurosurgery residency, there’s something wrong.

As for spine trauma, it’s basically the same idea. Just involves MAP management, and decompression/fusion surgeries. Nothing special
(04-16-2022, 10:28 AM)Guest Wrote: Trauma isn’t a real subspecialty. It’s not something u need extra training in. All it consists of are hemicraniectomies (one of the most basic procedures in neurosurgery) and ICP management. If u need additional training in trauma after completing a neurosurgery residency, there’s something wrong.

As for spine trauma, it’s basically the same idea. Just involves MAP management, and decompression/fusion surgeries. Nothing special

I don't think this is entirely fair. Cranially, there isn't a ton of nuance to the surgery, but there's a lot of grey area in proper TBI management and NCC is a legitimate fellowship pathway if you're interested in that. Additionally, a lot of spine surgeons will tell you that spinal trauma outside of basic things like central cords is an experience in lifelong learning since there are infinite permutations of injury. There are also programs that simply don't see a lot of trauma. Not every program is a lvl 1 trauma center.

My understanding is that the only true trauma neurosurgery fellowship is UW, the rest are mostly NCC.

Standouts with a lot of trauma include Maryland (shock), Baylor, UW, and Pitt. I'm sure there are others. Probably any place with large rural or penetrating trauma catchment, probably not any program in NYC or Boston
Many of the Midwest rural programs are level 1 trauma, with heavy operative volume and large catchment area. Programs that come to mind are Ohio state, Peoria, Madison, and University of Iowa
At a level I center with a large catchment area, we see plenty of crani and spine trauma transfers with half-hearted surgeries performed by neurosurgeons from an array of training backgrounds. The idea that trauma isn’t a real subspecialty is absurd, you get once chance to do the right thing, and it’s clear that training isn’t sufficient at some programs. Plenty of elective based programs are relying on cranioplasties and craniosyn surgeries for their cranial trauma/other minimum.
The marketable way to approach trauma as a subspecialty is spine with an emphasis on trauma. There is a lot of nuance to surgical decision making in spine trauma that benefits from specialized training, while on the cranial side things are more straightforward or driven by NCC. There are some fellowships that emphasize this experience (Miami comes to mind but I'm sure there are others). From a residency standpoint, look for programs with a strong academic presence in trauma and that have a level I center as one of their main hospitals (Pitt and UW are excellent examples).

This is actually a highly marketable strategy in terms of looking for jobs, however, be aware that being the 'trauma guy/gal' at your program will be read by some of your partners as an inviation to dump disasters on you.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)