Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Endovascular + functional?
Just wondering if anyone knows of any neurosurgeons who practice in both and do elective dbs, pain, epilepsy and taking stroke call etc and some elective coiling. Could do SRS for indications in both. Just wondering as seems like new tech is sort of at an interface between the 2 and seems like most functional surgeons doing 50% other cases (random spine and general call) and likewise for endovasc (lots of spine and occasional open vasc elective cases) so why not just do this combo? 2 years postgrad fellowship if do 1st endovasc year in residency so 2 fellowship years same as peds.
Hard to drop leads for five hours and sit in a MR scanner doing ablations when you are rushing to the IR suite for a thrombectomy.
I’ve watched vascular guys on stroke call step out of bypasses and clippings for a quick thrombectomy that the fellow mostly has under control. If anything it’s easier to briefly leave a functional procedure?
How are you going to have a fellow if you're not full time vascular?
stroke call will consume not only your practice but your life as well..
What about a spine + functional career with fellowship training in both.
(04-21-2022, 04:00 PM)Guest Wrote: What about a spine + functional career with fellowship training in both.

Spine + functional and spine + endovascular are fairly common from what I’ve seen. I’d almost say the standard practice is an endovasc person doing random spine cases while ok vasc call and functional doing functional cases while on spine/general call. Hence why I don’t understand why you can’t do functional + endovasc where you are doing random dbs etc (instead of spine) while on vasc call
No, functional attracts nerdy loners, spine/endovascular attracts surgeons
Functional + endo is not a thing. Spine + endo is harder than people on here are thinking. Your hospital will require that you take stroke call separately from your other call in order to avoid a CSC violation. That means that you will have spine and general call days, and then stroke (+vascular) call days. Source: I know people in this situation. You will eventually run into a situation where you're trapped and door-to-needle gets delayed, then the hospital will freak during the next CSC review, and you'll have to split everything up.

Just do what everyone else does and mix in some general and spine with functional. FWIW - at some point in academics you have to make a choice what you want to do. You can't be the T4-pelvis guy and the stereotactic guy, and be considered the top in both.
(04-22-2022, 09:30 AM)drstrange Wrote: Functional + endo is not a thing. Spine + endo is harder than people on here are thinking. Your hospital will require that you take stroke call separately from your other call in order to avoid a CSC violation. That means that you will have spine and general call days, and then stroke (+vascular) call days. Source: I know people in this situation. You will eventually run into a situation where you're trapped and door-to-needle gets delayed, then the hospital will freak during the next CSC review, and you'll have to split everything up.

Just do what everyone else does and mix in some general and spine with functional. FWIW - at some point in academics you have to make a choice what you want to do. You can't be the T4-pelvis guy and the stereotactic guy, and be considered the top in both.

I want to make it a thing. No way that can’t handle doing battery changes and dbs on stroke call if can handle doing spine. I want to do research sort of between endovasc and functional as well (think stentrode type stuff). Not a single person in the country does this??

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)