Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTSW Opening
(07-07-2022, 03:30 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 03:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Out of curiosity, why did the person of interest leave medicine all together? Like why didn't they consider IM, EM, etc?

Personally, rather do consulting than IM/EM

Out of curiosity, why didn't you do 3 year IM, and then join McKinsey as an engagement manager? Wouldn't this be the safer choice, just in case the McKinsey job doesn't work out? Medicine and business involve different skill sets, I guess they overlap but are you worried about the future?
(07-07-2022, 11:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 05:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 12:44 AM)Guest Wrote: Going back to OP, Neurosurgery is easy. It is low IQ. Medicine is just memorization. All the real thinking is done by PhD, but MD's take all the credit, and it apparently goes to their heads. Neurosurgery is just practice and practice and any fool can get good at it. Doctors limit the # of doctors, so that salaries remain high. They purposefully make sure that their is a shortage to keep salaries high--even though it means that patients are suffering. This should tell you a lot.

McKinsey consultants do real thinking. They have to compete and offer quality work for the money--unlike doctors who are protected by laws and limited competition (doctors essentially rob patients who have no other choice). They work on real problems and have to actually use their brain. A McKinsey consultant has to have a high IQ and has to be able to see the big picture, think creatively, as questions, offer solutions. They can't just pop open a book (or nowadays, an app) to get the solution. And if they don't offer quality work, they are out.

So it makes sense that the "best and brightest" don't go into medicine, which is corrupt and only involves rote memorization.
Would seem the person of interest had decided to make an appearance on the forum

No, I'm the person of interest and I'm not idiotic enough to make claims like this. There is a lot of value in both professions. Neurosurgery and my program weren't a great fit for me so I decided to go my separate way. Let's leave it at that.

1st rule of grit: if it's not a great fit, you must quit
In Law: If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

In Medicine: If not a great fit, you must quit.

also, would be be making more money as a consultant? Maybe that caused the gentleman in question to change? because if you start earning 200K at age 24, and save it up in s&p500, you get a lot more in passive income after like 10 years, right? also, you get to travel around and live in 5 star hotels so did that play a role? you get to fly first-class as well? anyone have insight into the lifestyle?
To be honest, I think he will end up making more money than us in the long run especially if he makes partner. Good for him for making the jump
(07-07-2022, 03:54 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 03:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Out of curiosity, why did the person of interest leave medicine all together? Like why didn't they consider IM, EM, etc?

Out of curiosity, why didn't you do 3 year IM, and then join McKinsey as an engagement manager? Wouldn't this be the safer choice, just in case the McKinsey job doesn't work out? Medicine and business involve different skill sets, I guess they overlap but are you worried about the future?

Sorry not the person of interest here. i was just chiming my 2 cents
(07-07-2022, 03:54 PM)Guest Wrote:

That's not how it works. All MD's join at an Associate level unless you finish residency and practice for 5 years and then you can join at an EM-equivalent level but you pidgeonhole yourself into healthcare. Versus finishing one year of residency, getting a medical license (can still open a medspa, urgent care, telehealth, prescribe meds) and start at consulting and get to an EM level role within 2 years. You stunt your growth within consulting if you finish residency. But everyone has their own path and if someone finds value within that then good for them
(07-07-2022, 04:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 11:55 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 05:13 AM)Guest Wrote:
(07-07-2022, 12:44 AM)Guest Wrote: Going back to OP, Neurosurgery is easy. It is low IQ. Medicine is just memorization. All the real thinking is done by PhD, but MD's take all the credit, and it apparently goes to their heads. Neurosurgery is just practice and practice and any fool can get good at it. Doctors limit the # of doctors, so that salaries remain high. They purposefully make sure that their is a shortage to keep salaries high--even though it means that patients are suffering. This should tell you a lot.

McKinsey consultants do real thinking. They have to compete and offer quality work for the money--unlike doctors who are protected by laws and limited competition (doctors essentially rob patients who have no other choice). They work on real problems and have to actually use their brain. A McKinsey consultant has to have a high IQ and has to be able to see the big picture, think creatively, as questions, offer solutions. They can't just pop open a book (or nowadays, an app) to get the solution. And if they don't offer quality work, they are out.

So it makes sense that the "best and brightest" don't go into medicine, which is corrupt and only involves rote memorization.
Would seem the person of interest had decided to make an appearance on the forum

No, I'm the person of interest and I'm not idiotic enough to make claims like this. There is a lot of value in both professions. Neurosurgery and my program weren't a great fit for me so I decided to go my separate way. Let's leave it at that.

1st rule of grit: if it's not a great fit, you must quit

That intern made the right call. Why waste even more time if you find out early on you don’t want to be a neurosurgeon? It’s not like that year had sub-i’s to confirm their career choices.
(07-07-2022, 05:29 PM)Guest Wrote: In Law: If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

also, would be be making more money as a consultant? Maybe that caused the gentleman in question to change? because if you start earning 200K at age 24, and save it up in s&p500, you get a lot more in passive income after like 10 years, right? also, you get to travel around and live in 5 star hotels so did that play a role? you get to fly first-class as well? anyone have insight into the lifestyle?

Yes you make more money as a consultant overall. And the environment is less malignant. Your career outlook is better, and the culture is less toxic. And it’s way more fun, like you described. 

Medicine isn’t the career it once was, people have way too much sunk cost fallacy and a habit of putting it on a pedestal.
(07-11-2022, 08:33 AM)Guest Wrote:

Yes you make more money as a consultant overall. And the environment is less malignant. Your career outlook is better, and the culture is less toxic. And it’s way more fun, like you described. 

Medicine isn’t the career it once was, people have way too much sunk cost fallacy and a habit of putting it on a pedestal.

You can’t put a dollar amount on doing meaningful work and coming home feeling fulfilled. It’s a feeling my college friends who work on Wall Street wish they had.
(07-11-2022, 02:29 PM)Guest Wrote:
(07-11-2022, 08:33 AM)Guest Wrote:

You can’t put a dollar amount on doing meaningful work and coming home feeling fulfilled. It’s a feeling my college friends who work on Wall Street wish they had.

**Coming home at 10pm to your wife and kids already asleep and going back to work at 4am before they wake up

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)