Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UTSW Opening
(06-21-2022, 06:16 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 04:47 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-21-2022, 08:19 AM)Guest Wrote: Wash U lost a PGY-1

I saw that too. I wonder how toxic the program must have been to push out someone so competent. The dude had >100 pubs, solid boards, and was a rockstar by all at his medical school.

I heard things about WashU being toxic but this might be exhibit A.

how do you know he was pushed out? Maybe he just quit like the UTSW guy? 

I read about a guy (on sdn) who was an ENT resident at a well-respected place. But then the program started to file false charges against him and he was fired. after like 2 years he got i think a FM residency position. He was a family man--had 3 kids i think and a wife whom they married like in college. not sure why they did this to him.

I don't know but I would wager that someone who spent several years working up to nsgy wouldn't necessary quit unless the environment was toxic. FYI, UTSW is also insanely toxic hence why that other superstar dipped out. These places take your dreams and crush it. Important to note that toxicity isn't always limited to faculty. sometimes your co-residents can be very cliquey and make your life miserable. Sad to see

Sad for the ENT guy as well.
Neurosurgery is unforgiving.. those of us who’ve gone through training know of good people who were phased out for one reason or another or chose to leave, but typically comes down to grueling training and a malignant environment. The “weakest link” is targeted and gets on the wrong persons shit list and honed in on either subconsciously or not. UVA was known for this firing residents frequently in Jane sr era. Things are changing, but some programs still clinging to the past. Also, you’re not safe as an attending either, butt heads with the wrong people..

I don’t agree with this culture and am happy it’s changing, but this is why the sub-I is so important to weed out people who just aren’t cut for this field. Not only that, applicants can feel out if they will thrive or burn out at a particular program. Some do well in hardcore toxic environment taking abuse in stride, others not so much. Some very vocal “aspiring neurosurgeons” on Twitter makes me doubly skeptical. 100 papers is great, your scuba hobby is cool, but none of this tells me how you fare with constant criticism, minimal sleep/food/water, and immense level of responsibility and workload. add in nasty attendings and malignant culture.. makes it that much worse. 7 years is a long time. Life is good now, but man I thought about quitting more than I like to admit
^^^ rare hidden gem on this site. Thank you for taking the time
As a new intern, I can already feel what you just described. Thank you for articulating it so clearly.
Speaking of openings. There's an opening at Northwestern. One of their PGY2s is leaving apparently?
Someone should look at nsgy attrition rates per decades lol. So far, Barrow, UTSW, NorthWestern x2 Sheesh
(06-22-2022, 06:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Speaking of openings. There's an opening at Northwestern. One of their PGY2s is leaving apparently?

a second one? wwhere did you see this
(06-22-2022, 09:09 PM)Guest Wrote: Someone should look at nsgy attrition rates per decades lol. So far, Barrow, UTSW, NorthWestern x2 Sheesh

Did someone officially leave from Barrow?
Barrow? Northwestern? I wonder when people here--most of whom have learning disabilities--are going to start blaming the bad apples instead of the tree?

You fools all sound like the left-wingers who will blame everyone for the crime--the cops, the teachers, the doctors, the neighbors, the parents--except, that is, the criminal himself.
^Right, because multiple bad apples from the same tree somehow absolves the tree from any suspicion. This is the kind of guy to blame a crowd for being in the way of an attacker. Keep sucking those attending dicks though, I’m sure one day they’ll notice you.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)