Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
Texas
New to this forum, just curious on opinions. I'm a tx student, and I am curious how the usnews rankings for the tx programs are so vastly rearranged from ast year. Utsw went from #19 to #30, baylor st luke jumped to #15, and even bcm moved above utsw. Hell the 3 mayo locations are above the utsw ranking. How insightful are these rankings? I didn't even know baylor st Luke's was the best in Houston, let alone texas and #15 in the nation. Thoughts?
(08-07-2022, 12:41 AM)ner0 Wrote: New to this forum, just curious on opinions. I'm a tx student, and I am curious how the usnews rankings for the tx programs are so vastly rearranged from ast year. Utsw went from #19 to #30, baylor st luke jumped to #15, and even bcm moved above utsw. Hell the 3 mayo locations are above the utsw ranking. How insightful are these rankings? I didn't even know baylor st Luke's was the best in Houston, let alone texas and #15 in the nation. Thoughts?

~ top 10 are reasonable, beyond that, the list falls apart.

(08-07-2022, 12:41 AM)ner0 Wrote: New to this forum, just curious on opinions. I'm a tx student, and I am curious how the usnews rankings for the tx programs are so vastly rearranged from ast year. Utsw went from #19 to #30, baylor st luke jumped to #15, and even bcm moved above utsw. Hell the 3 mayo locations are above the utsw ranking. How insightful are these rankings? I didn't even know baylor st Luke's was the best in Houston, let alone texas and #15 in the nation. Thoughts?

~ top 10 are reasonable, beyond that, the list falls apart.
insightful into what? us news rankings are not a ranking of neurosurgery residency (eg barrow at 40), they are a ranking of the hospital based on the us news scoring algorithm. they also include neurology btw.

Not sure what rankings you are seeing. Baylor isn't at #15. It's not even listed in the top 20.
America's Best Hospitals: the 2022-2023 Honor Roll and Overview | U.S. News (usnews.com)
Best Hospitals in Texas Rankings | US News Best Hospitals
Best Hospitals for Neurology & Neurosurgery | Rankings & Ratings | US News Best Hospitals
These rankings should have no bearing on how you view a training program because they’re based on rather arbitrary methods from Medicare data and reputation surveys. Listen to the Freakonomics MD episode about USNWR hospital rankings. No one in their right mind would choose Beaumont over Barrow for a neurosurgical procedure.

Doximity was somewhat reliable in the past but also has questionable rankings.
US News uses basic hospital outcomes measures of how sick the patient population is vs outcomes. Their rankings are all about the coding department logging comorbidities. So Beaumont does a better job than Barrow with coding, but there's not one neurosurgical procedure or aspect of training that is close between the two.

Doximity does a better job with regards to assessing training because it's all about physician recommendations. Attendings are sent the form and choose 2 or 3 programs to recommend alongside their own. Obviously this biases places like Mayo Clinic where each site is directed to vote for each other (Hence why Mayo Arizona is a top 40 program on doximity despite having barely existed for 1 year).

For a residency rankings US news is completely worthless. Doximity is the closest thing we have. The Top 10 are mostly correct, 11-40 are interchangeable with a few exceptions that should be no where near that high (i.e. Tufts, Mayo Jax/AZ) and a few underrated (UVA, NW, Jeff, Stanford), 41-100 are about right with a few exceptions (UCSD, Minn, Buffalo, Carolinas too low).
(08-08-2022, 12:56 PM)Guest Wrote: US News uses basic hospital outcomes measures of how sick the patient population is vs outcomes. Their rankings are all about the coding department logging comorbidities. So Beaumont does a better job than Barrow with coding, but there's not one neurosurgical procedure or aspect of training that is close between the two.

Doximity does a better job with regards to assessing training because it's all about physician recommendations. Attendings are sent the form and choose 2 or 3 programs to recommend alongside their own. Obviously this biases places like Mayo Clinic where each site is directed to vote for each other (Hence why Mayo Arizona is a top 40 program on doximity despite having barely existed for 1 year).

For a residency rankings US news is completely worthless. Doximity is the closest thing we have. The Top 10 are mostly correct, 11-40 are interchangeable with a few exceptions that should be no where near that high (i.e. Tufts, Mayo Jax/AZ) and a few underrated (UVA, NW, Jeff, Stanford), 41-100 are about right with a few exceptions (UCSD, Minn, Buffalo, Carolinas too low).

Agree, other exceptions too low are Maryland, Oklahoma, Colorado.

Top 10 do reflect reputation for what that means, but there are few there who are still riding their prior quality, there's a lag time before more people find out their new weaknesses.
<p>В России начала действовать отраслевая программа о применении вторсырья на промышленных предприятиях &ndash; это отличная <a href="https://recyclemag.ru/news">экологическая новость</a>. Отраслевая программа позволит создать <a href="https://recyclemag.ru/">экологичную экономику</a> замкнутого цикла.</p>

экологическая новость

Source:

экологическая новость
(08-08-2022, 12:16 AM)Guest Wrote:

Not sure what rankings you are seeing. Baylor isn't at #15. It's not even listed in the top 20.
America's Best Hospitals: the 2022-2023 Honor Roll and Overview | U.S. News (usnews.com)
Best Hospitals for Neurology & Neurosurgery | Rankings & Ratings | US News Best Hospitals

Sorry meant Houston methodist. Don't know how I confused it for Baylor St. Lukes

(08-08-2022, 12:56 PM)Guest Wrote: US News uses basic hospital outcomes measures of how sick the patient population is vs outcomes. Their rankings are all about the coding department logging comorbidities. So Beaumont does a better job than Barrow with coding, but there's not one neurosurgical procedure or aspect of training that is close between the two.

Thanks for breaking it down for me! I didn't really understand what their rankings were based on.

(08-08-2022, 02:25 PM)Guest Wrote:

Top 10 do reflect reputation for what that means, but there are few there who are still riding their prior quality, there's a lag time before more people find out their new weaknesses.

How is Oklahoma as a program? I've heard since adding Dunn, it has become a lot better. Thoughts?
(08-08-2022, 11:47 PM)ner0 Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 12:16 AM)Guest Wrote:

Sorry meant Houston methodist. Don't know how I confused it for Baylor St. Lukes

Thanks for breaking it down for me! I didn't really understand what their rankings were based on.

(08-08-2022, 02:25 PM)Guest Wrote:

How is Oklahoma as a program? I've heard since adding Dunn, it has become a lot better. Thoughts?

OU is definitely a solid academic program now, although it’s always been very clinically strong. They’ve matched strong candidates for a few years straight now and have recruited faculty from top training programs.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)