Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
programs to avoid?
They very rarely target applicants of color either. Thinking of them as ‘others’ probably doesn’t help.
It otherwise sounds like a solid program to train in. More (white) power to them!
BNI is seemingly not a racist program and has a history of inclusion/diversity. It does seem to match (preferentially?) more people from privileged backgrounds i.e. typical jocular Caucasian white males who went to prep school than the average program but that’s probably because they like people who are coincidentally also athletic/high-energy/outdoorsy.
That sounds horrible that they target 1 resident per year to harris. that means 25% of residents are being bullied. BNI looks like an extremely white, male place, so I wouldn't be surprised to see racism.
UPMC UPMC UPMC!!! I have heard a few stories from people who have actually been there. attending shoving residents, throwing residents under the bus, people throwing shit in the OR. their new attending went on probation or some shit for throwing instrument across the room that almost hit someone.
I heard the similar things. Attendings don’t get along and put the residents in between making them take sides and such. Don’t want that shit for 7 years
Quote:Posted by nsgyonly - Yesterday, 07:54 PM
UPMC UPMC UPMC!!! I have heard a few stories from people who have actually been there. attending shoving residents, throwing residents under the bus, people throwing shit in the OR. their new attending went on probation or some shit for throwing instrument across the room that almost hit someone.

Man, you still play these games just to get a spot in. You are trashing your own program hosting you as a research fellow so you can get there? We know that Pitt sucks but avoid these mind games.
Cool story
West Virginia for sure. They fire a resident every year or every other year.
Is it a surprise that a lesser-known program needs to fire more residents if they aren’t getting the top applicants? It’s a vicious cycle if you’re forced to take on people that aren’t the best/who have a higher chance of underperforming, and then deciding whether to fire or to put out a mediocre surgeon when they graduate. It’s easy to figure out what to do with the stellar performers and the unsafe…what do you do with the middle?
I heard second hand that Michigan was imploding. No cases, attendings resigning. Any confirm or deny?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)