Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Order of importance for academic programs?
I'm a new M1 starting at a T5 school. I'm interested in neurosurgery (bunch of shadowing and some neuro research from undergrad). I'm trying to decide how to best allocate my limited time in the next few years. In general, it seems the most important factors for matching to academic programs (UCSF, MGH, Stanford, etc.) seem to be big-name faculty sponsor, then research (not just quantity), and finally sub-I and away performance.

A few questions:
1. The faculty I started research with (due to interest in functional) is not like the biggest wig in my home department, but his students (albeit few) have published well (in basic research) and gone to top academic programs. Meanwhile, when I contacted my program director, it seemed there weren't any open projects for me and he also said that it is better that I keep doing what I like within neurosurgery (my PD does brain tumor not functional) since that makes for a better "story" for applications. Is it true that I'm better off building my profile on what "niche" within nsgy that I enjoy or is just wiser to be as promiscuous as possible with project and mentor selection (depth vs. breadth)?

2. If it is indeed the case that I'm better off doing what I like over just some random junk project with a big-wig, how can I build bonds with the big-name people? Do I ask to regularly shadow them as an M1? Perform well on sub-I (are the big-names even there on sub-I?)? I'm on the board of my school's nsgy interest group so maybe use that to connect somehow?

3. for the Cali programs, what is the best way to go about getting on their good side as an out-of-state applicant? Is an away rotation the only way? Or a research year at the Cali program? Or do I pray my program director will just call on my behalf to the Cali director?

Thanks!
1) big names help. Having consistency allows you to speak intelligently on your subniche. My advice is do both. Publish quick papers in various other topics (spine, brain tumors, etc) while doing your main research work. Your best bet is getting connected with residents who publish for the big name guys. Do good work in timely manner and you’ll get on peoples radar quick.

2) Again see above. Use research via residents to get connected. Attendings ask residents for feedback on students,making good impression now through research, attending, conference, and shadowing will go long way. Ask residents who/when to shadow. As long as they know you exist as an M1 you’re steps ahead of the game.

3) Yes sun-I at Cali programs to open doors there. Also, the research you do no at home program, if you’re lead author I would reach out ti attendings at other programs your interested in and ask to include them on your project. Otherwise, your home program will need to reach out come application time

Good luck
Thank you for your reply.

It is indeed a bit trickly to get "working" with the PD. I've met him twice during the first two months of med school and he was very kind to me. Just that somehow when I asked to work on anything he's doing he just re-directed me to one of his younger "smaller-name" colleagues ... I guess I'll have to use some other means like via residents? Although doesn't this mean that I won't be first author?

On your point on includeing other attendings on my first author papers at my home institution. Wouldn't this just anger my current faculty I work for? I imagine I'll have to run this by my current resaerch advisor/mentor first?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)