Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lack of honors/AOA?
MS3 here at a mid-tier USMD school who just finished up their surgery rotation a few weeks ago. I missed the cutoff for honors by a few points on my shelf, so I will only get a pass or high-pass (should be high-pass since most residents and attendings seemed to like me well enough), but I’m worried this is going to be an issue when it comes to applying given the competitiveness of the field and the fact that step 1 won’t be a thing for my pool of applicants (so I’m assuming more weight will be placed on clinical grades and step 2 for this reason). 

Other info app as of now: I have 7 pubs. 3 of those are first author but not in nsg (did lots of basic science work in undergrad and some IM work in M2), and 4 are 2nd+ with 2 of them being case reports in nsg. I have a decent number of EC’s and did well in M1 and M2, though I know pre-clinicals don’t matter much. I’m just having trouble consistently doing well on shelves for some reason (have one honor and one high-pass thus far). In any case: is a pass or high-pass going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of programs? Any insights and advice on what to do moving forward is greatly appreciated.
Definitely not a deal breaker assuming you have a home program and will have good away performances which are more important than the surgery clerkship.

AOA looks nice but not essential for most programs. It does help if you’re trying to match at a top tier program especially coming from a mid or low tier school since those places are snobbier.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)