Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MS3 Clinical Grades
Wanted honest thoughts from MS4s who just applied and residents/ people who look at applications regarding the importance of clinical grades for top programs as well as matching in general.

I am at a P/HP/H school and have done 4/6 of my rotations and have received 2 HP and 2 H. How much of a hindrance is a HP? How many HPs are too much?
AOA vs not AOA is the major distinction as long as you don't low pass.
OP here. My school does not have AOA
How about Gold Humanism Society? That or AOA will distinguish you. Most people are flooded with apps and don’t have the time to look at your grades. Do well on step 2 and kill it on research and they won’t be able to look at anything else.
Do you think research can make up for a mediocre step 2 score? For example, can someone with 20+ publications, a 230 step 2 score, from a mid-teir state school still match into neurosurgery?
(11-29-2022, 02:22 PM)Guest Wrote: Do you think research can make up for a mediocre step 2 score? For example, can someone with 20+ publications, a 230 step 2 score, from a mid-teir state school still match into neurosurgery?

I go to a top 5 MD school with a top 5 neurosurgery program. Was talking to an attending a few months back who is involved with admissions. She said she'll consider anyone with a grain of salt. I feel like top programs care less about Step and more about other elements of the application (research, letters, sub-I performance) but middle tier programs care more about test scores since the applicants are probably more homogenous.

Typo: "consider anyone with a score >220
do you think it's worth it for me to apply into neurosurgery? I'm scared that my step 2 score (~230) will hold me back
Only with 20+ pubs. 230 and sub 10 pubs is lethal.
I would disagree. 230 with 5-7 pubs will not cut it. It will be an uphill battle matching.
Yup. 230 with fewer than pubs would make your borderline competitive for mid tier family medicine programs.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)