Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research output
how does it look to have 15-20 manuscripts (total of 30+ research items with abstracts, posters, etc.) across various specialties with only a few (<6) neurology or neurosurgery related items? majority published during M1-M3. Mostly clinical studies, no major IF papers, few first author papers. 

it was really tough to find NSG research opportunities at my school. I tried to be as productive as possible with what I was able to get. 

thanks.
How many of those neurosurgery items were actual publications (PubMed indexed)? And what does <6 mean? 5? 4? From what I've heard, you need ~10 PubMed-indexed papers in neurosurgery to be competitive. ~5 papers are fine if you are fantastic at your Sub-Is, amazing letters, etc. and don't
There is no hard and east rule. People realize the schools you come from. If you have 2 papers out of Columbia where there is a paper publishing factory, you are behind. If you have 3 papers from a school without a NSG program and you had to hustle just for that, it’s understood that you did the best you could. People that review applications see right through the “research items”. We care about pubmed indexed papers. If you did a case report and then presented a poster on it 10 times at 10 meetings at your school and then put it on ERAS as 10 different line items, we notice. I don’t think many care if you have 10-15 pubmed papers but 1/3 are in NSG. It shows effort and productivity. It is not held against you that you had other research interests, the point is to demonstrate that you can take a project to completion. So you’re good
thanks, I have 5 neuro-related. 3 were NSG publications, 2 were neuro. all pubmed indexed. 
I have a home program but not considered paper-publishing factory.
Then that’s just fine. Research will be a checkmark for you and you can move on to the more important “don’t come across as weird” part of the interview

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)